Tuesday, March 18, 2008

More Brick-based Irreverance


While the Israelites were staying at Shittim, the men began having sex with the Moabite women.  (Numbers 25:1)

In an effort to tip the scales a little, I thought I'd showcase some stuff from The Brick Testament, which Julie mentioned in the previous post's comments and I've mentioned here and there on the blog before. Check out these images from The Massacre of the Bashanites:

So the Israelites struck down Og king of Bashan.

They killed his sons...

...and all his people.

Not a single person was left alive. (Numbers 21:35)

Reverend Powell Smith, the dude who puts this together, uses quotes from The New Jerusalem Bible, a 1985 translation that's written in plain, accessible language (for instance, it says "have sex with" where the old King James version uses the more oblique "know.)" I heard about this version of the Bible in college and I've always liked how it states the Good Book's rather intense material without any kind of filter. The Brick Testament goes even further with these engaging tableaux that combine the bold-faced graphic nature of the material with familiar smiley-faced and genital-free Lego people.

I'm not really sure what the Reverend's deal is, if he's in this to poke fun, profit (both of which he does), or for some deeper religiousy reason. I'm posting it to highlight the brutal background upon which the "good guy" religion was built, and also because I'm a freak for the Lego. It might be the closest thing to a religion that I've got.

Other nasties: David's Son Rapes David's Daughter and God Kills a Baby.

3 comments:

DKC said...

Wow. I missed everything yesterday!

For what it's worth miko - having Octo and Landshark as brothers can make one feel not too bright at times. But, as Octo pointed out, having someone so close to you be so knowledgeable about things which you are not is definitely beneficial.

Julie said...

Why is it so funny to see Lego minifigs thrusting?

Octopunk said...

It's the limited movement range. And the aforementioned lack of genitals.

You know what I don't have enough of? Naked yellow minifig body parts. I mean, the only yellow legs I've got belong to my yellow classic spacemen, and I'm not taking them apart.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...