Sunday, May 24, 2009

Spinal Tap: Unwigged and Unplugged


The Wilbur Theater has been good to me: last September, front row at the Dandy Warhols with a substantial Horrorthon contingent; last night, front row for the sold-out Unwigged and Unplugged Christopher Guest, Michael McKean, and Harry Shearer. The photo above is my exact view of the stage. Of course I was a little skeptical going into this show; I’ve never seen Tap in all their metal glory and was afraid this show would be in the nature of a consolation prize. Fortunately I was dead wrong.

Comedically, the trio were hilarious throughout the show. They were not in character except for brief touches during particular songs, like when Guest became Nigel for “Stonehenge”. There was a touch of multimedia to the show, with a couple of clips of them in different stages of their careers, and a couple of music videos made by fans. Here's one:
We heard stories of the band’s trials and tribulations, and there were a couple of audience stunts including a Q & A that proved some people take Tap wayyyyyyy morer seriously than do I, but in a good way. The men handled all questions with grace and humor. I laughed out loud till I was hoarse.

Musically, I’ve always said these guys are good. I would argue their heavy metal and folk songs are at least as good if not better than many examples from the genres being parodied, which is partly why they are so funny. The men are all good musicans, I would say especially Guest, their voices still sounded strong, and they harmonized beautifully for the folk numbers. The unplugged arrangements of the Tap songs were surprisingly powerful at times. Also, the arrangements meant one could really hear and focus on the lyrics which sometimes get lost in the heavier versions. Even the folk tunes were so catchy that I couldn’t help tapping my feet, though I saved the fist pumps for Tap tunes. The songs played are listed below, not in order cuz I can’t remember, but they interspersed Tap with Folksmen songs throughout the evening. They also added some clever touches and slightly changed lyrics. One notable example was as the final notes of “Bitch School” were dying down, Harry Shearer said “release the hounds” in the voice of Mr. Burns.

In short, sheer comedic and musical bliss! I’m still glowing today, and wearing my Unwigged concert T that I slept in (and I never buy concert merch). Thanks Desroc to tipping me off about the show. Wish you all had been there, and fingers crossed they play as Spinal Tap again on the east coast some day. My next door neighbor at last night’s show has been to a lot of concerts and he claims the Tap show at Great Woods in ‘92 was literally the loudest show he’s ever been to. I still want that experience before I die, but last night certainly took the edge off.

Tap Songs:

All the Way Home
Gimme Some Money
(Listen to the) Flower People
Big Bottom
Stonehenge
Heavy Duty
Sex Farm Woman
Bitch School
The Majesty of Rock
Saucy Jack
Break like the wind
Clam caravan
Cups and cakes
Rainy Day sun

Folksmen/Mighty Wind:

Eat at Joe’s
A mighty wind
Kiss at the end of the rainbow (with Annette O’Toole)
Never Did No Wanderin'
Loco Man
The Good Book Song (with Annette O’Toole)
Blood On The Coal
Start Me Up
Corn wine
This bulging River

All backed up (a Harry Shearer Elvis tribute)

4 comments:

DKC said...

Aw, man! That sounds so great. The Burns voice alone has me bummed I missed it.

Glad you had such a good time. Excellent review as always!

The Mr. said...

yep, kickin myself for missing out on this one...psyched that you had a great time though

Catfreeek said...

Great review AC, sad I missed it too. Sounds like a blast.

JPX said...

I'm beyond jealous. I remember when the opportunity presented itself to see this show I stupidly passed. At the time I had purchased a number of concert tickets and I was feeling guilty about how much I was spending. I"m an idiot. The one question I have is how did you score such amazing seats???

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...