Saturday, December 11, 2010

Christmas Pterodactyl, bitches!

I just keep watching this again and again, and I'm so psyched by all the buzz it's getting.

So much good stuff coming together here. The animator Drew rocked the HELL out of the move, and as I said before the painter Robyn turned it from a goofy looking puff bird into the awesome thing you see here. John Oliver's line read is hilarious, as are the reactions from Donald Glover and Chevy Chase. The sound design is perfect, and the idea of inserting a freaking pterodactyl into the middle of a Christmas fantasyland is pure genius.

None of that is me, but I did crank that puppet into being in two and a half days; I sculpted the head and cut the shape of the wings and fashioned its giant talons with my little handsies. And I'm pretty proud of myself.

Such a great project to be a part of. Woot.

12 comments:

Jordan said...

Finally watched the clip. Awesome! It's got that silky rhythm that only comes from GOOD stop-motion work.

BTW you've got to check out the two posts below...they've got your name on them (literally).

Octopunk said...

You are a shameless post pimp.

Catfreeek said...

I just rewatched the episode with Tony this morning, he thinks you're pretty awesome too :)

DKC said...

I just finished watching the episode!! (At work, no less! What did we DO before the internet?)

Freaking Amazing, Octo. Mad, mad props.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I can't believe we ever got through Christmas without a pterodactyl. Awesome job Octopizzunk!

Jordan said...

The whole thing really looks great. And the wings and head are very graceful and badass-looking. Congratulations on landing such a great gig and then doing such a great job.

AC said...

ooh, is the whole episode on the internet somewhere? i've been waiting for comcast to put it up on demand.

DKC said...

NBC.com, AC! Easy-peasy!

JPX said...

I hate trying to spell "pterodactyl" (I cut an pasted it). This is very cool! At the risk of sounding like an even bigger idiot, what's the pterodactyl made out of? As others have noted, great work on a great gig, congrats!

Vanessa Pridgen said...

Congratulations! I love the pterodactyl, I saw it in the studio. They had to do a little bit more to it when it was close to time to animate so I got to support it while the glue dried, a good excuse to have my picture taken with it. ;) I'm a fan of Harryhausen and it's a perfect homage.

Landshark said...

Fantastic stuff, Octo. I've been bragging you up to some of my nerdier students.

AC said...

jon and i watched the show the other night and thought it was great! our favorite characters were the christmas pterodactyl and john oliver's "psychologist."

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...