Thursday, December 16, 2010

They Came Back (Les Revenants)

(2004) ** 1/2

What do you do when your family, friends, and fellow townspeople come back from the dead? Normally, you kill them to prevent them from eating your brains. But what do you do if they look exactly as they did before they died and they just want to resume their lives?

In They Came Back, the town holds meetings discussing the appropriate course of action. They decide to set up buildings where the walking dead await being claimed by their loved ones; though, as you can imagine, some people don’t want to claim them because frankly it’s pretty freaky, plus, though not discussed, I’m sure there were a few bad seeds that the families would have preferred had stayed deceased. While at these facilities the undead are put through a series of tests that shows they are slower mentally, but physically restless. Those who are claimed resume their lives. They go back to their former jobs despite the fact that their slow mental capacity hinders their performance. This is certainly an issue, but as the townspeople discuss, what else should they do with them. Those who are not claimed live in the facilities but their restlessness keeps them awake most nights and sometimes the guards have to shoot them with tranquilizers.

There are a few characters and their families that emerge as the main focus. There is the married couple that had lost their young son, the middle aged woman and her husband that had passed, and the old widow who had grieved the loss of his life long relationship with his wife. On one hand, they are ecstatic to have them back, but on the other, it’s a bit unsettling. It’s quite an adjustment to grieve for someone and then have him or her suddenly return to you one day with no explanation, not to mention, they are not exactly themselves and their restlessness is a source of trouble.

What can I say about this film. Intriguing concept, raises interesting questions, and successfully explores the grieving process; however, in the end it just doesn’t do it for me. It moves a bit slower than I would like. There is not even a spot of gore. Though, I could be okay with these two aspects if it weren’t missing something really major for me, and that is an explanation. I am by no means someone who needs everything described, I actually typically prefer the abstract, but I think the construction of this film called for more information, either that or it should have had a different ending. I’m not sure which would be preferable, I just know that the movie ended and I needed more, and either an explanation for why the dead suddenly returned or a different conclusion probably would have satisfied me.

6 comments:

Octopunk said...

Cool! I've always been intrigued by this movie's premise, which is a great counter-spin to the standard-issue zombie mode.

Too bad it doesn't quite pull it off. I really like the analysis in this sentence: "I actually typically prefer the abstract, but I think the construction of this film called for more information, either that or it should have had a different ending."

I also think leaving things unexplained can be a cool touch, but I agree that it isn't universal.

JPX said...

As I was reading your description I thought the plot sounded great. I’m so disappointed that the film didn’t live up to it. I hate it when people come up with great ideas but then screw them up. It’s not like someone else is going to come along and say, “I’m going to make my own movie about zombies who come back a little slow but are otherwise ready to resume their lives.” Also, what a clever way to save money on the film’s budget; no make-up necessary, just have them act “slow”.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

While reading your summary of this very intriguing plot I kept thinking "**1/2? Surely she's crazy!" but you did a great job of articulating the flaws. It sounds like it was brimming with potential that it couldn't live up to. I demand a retry!

DKC said...

I think you and JPX should do that retry with Love Boat action figures, JSP!

Whirlygirl said...

I second that, DCD!

I really wanted this movie to be awesome, and I'd give it a retry, JSP, if I didn't think I'd fall asleep (I did during my first viewing).

Catfreeek said...

I totally dig the concept of this film it's a shame that it didn't deliver as well as it could have. On a side note, you might want to check out the film "Blindness" it might hit the mark for you.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...