Monday, December 20, 2010

Spockin' Around the Christmas Tree



From toplessrobot, Rob is off experiencing Tron: Legacy post-coital bliss, I thought I'd kickstart your day with this ad for Hallmark's Star Trek Shuttlecraft Galileo Christmas ornament from 1992. (Which I shamefully admit to have hanging on my own tree at this very minute). There's a great bit of nostalgia to be found in the above video, which brings to mind a bygone era when seemingly every commercial on TV featured Trek actors hawking shit. Sigh. And does anyone else think that Spock would probably find the notion of decorating Christmas trees to be quite illogical? Hmm...

2 comments:

Octopunk said...

Aw. I've often been tempted by various spaceshippy ornaments, as they sometimes represent the only "toy" made of the ship in question (for instance there's no Serenity toy but there is an ornament). Not true of Trek, which of course generated scads of toy ships.

Hmm. Now I want to see the tree that's got all the Trek ornaments. You know it's out there...

AC said...

i suspect that if my family celebrated christmas, our 70s-era trees may well have sported this very ornament.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...