Friday, December 10, 2010

Koko's Earth Control


This is one of those rare artifacts that shows off the particular ideosyncracies of two decades: a sublime 1927 Max Fleischer cartoon called "Koko's Earth Control" (starring Fleischer's ubiquitous Koko, who, along with his dog, routinely climbs out of the animator's inkwell)...and, 65 years later, a Liquid Television segment that featured a re-cut version of the cartoon with a stunning techno score.

http://www.jordanorlando.com/koko

I saw the Liquid Television version first, which was pretty mind-blowing, but I think the best thing to do is watch the original and then the re-do. Both decades are well-represented.

(This is sort of a shout-out to Octopunk whom I talked to about this specific piece of Liquid Television at some point. I can't remember if Octopunk saw this or not. I didn't get to watch your show but I will very soon!)

1 comment:

Octopunk said...

I think I've seen the LT edit but I've never seen the original. I LOVE the vibe of animation from this era, even though most of the cartoons are about farm animals playing music.

My favorite thing about it goes right back to the "inkwell imps" notion; anything that's drawn can be anything at all. The best example is when the dotted line goes from the dog's eye to the sign to let us know he's looking at it, and then he climbs up the line to get a closer look. Awesome.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...