Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Re-Animator musical in the works and no I'm not kidding

From Shock Till You Drop:

"Still enjoying the success and critical acclaim surrounding his stage production Poe with Jeffrey Combs, director Stuart Gordon is spearheading a new stage endeavor: Re-Animator: The Musical.

Said to be Gordon's next ambitious and "terrific" new production, sources who caught an early show said William Atherton and George Wendt knocked it out of the park in their respective roles as Dr. Hill and Halsey. A newcomer filled the shoes of Herbert West.

Re-Animator, of course, isn't the first genre film to make a leap from the screen to the stage. Evil Dead: The Musical, Night of the Living Dead: The Musical and even The Silence of the Lambs: The Musical have all garnered fans. We're hearing there's good reason to be excited for a crooning Re-Animator."

Octo sez: I don't know about you, but I'd probably rather screen a Marmaduke and Alvin and the Chipmunks double feature before watching a beloved horror flick turned all Sondheim-esque. And unlike some of us I like musicals sometimes.

Oddly enough I discovered this fact in a cool way. Tony Doublin, a regular figure in a lot of the stop-motion crews I've worked on, was talking about this at lunch yesterday. That was when he mentioned he did the special effects for Re-Animator, which was a surprise because I've known Tony for a while and never knew that. (His IMDb creds mention Bride but not the original, so I'm not sure how precise he was being.) Whichever movie it was, it got him tapped to handle the effects for the musical.

Apparently the buzz is good for the Poe play with Jeffrey Combs. I may check it out if it comes back.

2 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I think a Re-Animator musical could be a fun experience as long as the front 10 rows leave covered in blood and guts.

Catfreeek said...

Yeah, that would be awesome! (I still don't think your brother would go for it)

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...