Friday, October 06, 2006

Silver Bullet

(1985) *1/2



Here's another one to file in the ever expanding "Do Not Watch Under Any Circumstances" cabinet. There is a very good reason why you've never heard of Silver Bullet.  In fact, there are probably several.   Based on Stephen King's Cycle of the Werewolf (yeah, whatever), what we have here is a completely forgettable 80's take on the already played-out werewolf story.   A young Corey Haim plays Marty, a kind hearted little punk confined to a wheelchair.  Gary Busey plays himself; a drunken, obnoxious uncle with a heart of gold.   A small town is being terrorized by an unknown assailant that leaves wolf-like wounds on its victims.  While the rest of the town goes into hiding, it's up to the boy to end the madness.    

I don't know how this movie ended up in my mailbox but I have two working theories.  1) I added it to my queue during a late night drunken stupor while desperately searching for obscure horror movies or   2) Someone or something hacked into my Netflix account and added it as a cruel joke.  Not much to say about this one except that it wasn't even unintentionally funny, it certainly wasn't scary and the werewolf used a wooden stick to beat people with. (?)  

Oh, there was one mildly noteworthy development!  The guy who plays Locke on TV's Lost played a police officer.   He actually did a fine job and managed to escape this mess of a movie with his dignity intact.

2 comments:

Octopunk said...

Yuck! I watched this in '04. I seem to recall the werewolf, in human form, chasing after Corey Haim in his car. Bad, lazy werewolf.

DKC said...

Okay, okay - I know you guys are all busy watching movies, but how about some reviews?!? What else am I supposed to do while I pretend to be working??

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...