Friday, February 22, 2008

LOST knows what they're doing


Okay, without spoiling anything, I have to say: anyone who watched last night's Lost and who nevertheless still thinks they're "randomly" generating plot developments and "don't have a plan" either isn't thinking it through, isn't paying even a low level of attention or is being willfully perverse. Damn it, I remember what it was like to see Twin Peaks painfully spinning its wheels, obviously pretending it all made sense. I'm on the lookout for that kind of nonsense since I don't watch television and have no patience at all with its shortcomings; at the slightest sign of somebody faking me out, I'm leaving. (I'm still supposed to watch the second half of Firefly and I'm wincing at the prospect because I just don't think its good television although it's interesting science fiction.) I have a very low tolerance for TV bullshit, is what I'm saying, so I'd be the first one out the door if Lost was actually guilty of all the sins it's accused of. Anyway, get the DVDs; catch up; get on board.

11 comments:

AC said...

the final moment blew my mind.

Jordan said...

Even though I KNEW something big was coming, and thought I was ready...it STILL blew my mind.

Julie said...

Bleh. Who couldn't see that final moment coming from like the first ten minutes? Jordan, have real sex and then you won't compare Lost to it anymore.

Jordan said...

But what's ac's excuse?

AC said...

just stoopid i guess?

miko564 said...

I am going ahead and opening up the can of whup-ass I have been sitting on for a while...

Jordan this is a serious, not sarcastic, request. Since you dislike bad TV and have a the skills to eviscerate it's weaknesses or sing it's praises, please explain to me your love of Star Trek TOS...
I enjoy old episodes, but have never grasped the full-blown man-love so many feel for the show. I guess what I am asking for is a full-blown, all-out, ass-kicking and name-taking, Jordan diatribe on the joys of Trek.
There I did's it, and it's can'ts be undone.

Julie said...

Why are you asking Jordan to do that? The time he spends writing that blog article he could spend trying to find a suitable sex partner!

Jordan said...

miko564, I feel like I've pretty much done that, with all the TOS writing I've done on Horrorthon recently, starting with this one and this one, which lay out the main arguments.

Apparently I'm confused, however, because the point of discussion somehow changed from "good/bad televsion" to "Jordan's promiscuity" and I'm actually a bit baffled by this...

Jordan said...

And anyway, Julie, you got it all wrong: Being able to see the end of LOST 4x04 coming based on the beginning of LOST 4x04 certainly does reveal you to be smart and promiscuous but it has nothing to do with the argument about whether the LOST creators "choose their plot points randomly, without any underlying scheme."

So you deduced the ending ten minutes in, but that speaks to the writing of a single episode script, which has themes, clues etc. running all through it in a way that doesn't necessarily speak to the cohesion of the series. (("Themes" being relevant because generally there's a clear thematic relationship between a LOST episode's flashback/flashforward and its main action; this week was no exception).

For example, do you remember Desmond's final "vision" of Claire way back last season? The one that motivated Charlie? Do you realize that its meaning is now changed? Do you really think they didn't see that coming, and plan around it?

miko564 said...

You're right you did. (I reread the top ten episode post, didn't realize it contained so much about the show as a whole) Don't know about where the post took a turn towards your sex life, good luck with that....

Jordan said...

Yeah, thanks. It's a profound mystery. (Actually I think I know why.)

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...