Friday, May 23, 2008

The 10 Most Terrifying Video Game Enemies of All Time

#8.The Dog from Paperboy

Paperboy was a 1988 Nintendo classic about a plucky paperboy and an entire neighborhood that inexplicably wanted to murder him. The game never explained why and we were too weirded out to ask.

Unsurprisingly, your main nemesis was a yapping canine. Avoiding this dog was easy, but avoiding the crap he chased you into was much harder. A savvy player could shut him up with a well-tossed newspaper, but aiming correctly meant nearly crashing into other fixtures of suburbia such as Hell's Angels, tornadoes and the Grim Reaper. Yes, this damn dog was scarier than Death itself.


See full list here

3 comments:

Octopunk said...

I'm unfamiliar with a lot of those, although the crabs from Half Life are damn freaky looking.

We tried a new laundromat recently that had a multi-game arcade machine. Sinistar was one of the choices but I avoided it because I recalled how damn hard it was. One of the choices that I did play was Space Invaders -- I got through more screens than I probably ever did in the 80's (about 3) but I gotta say: that game is boring. Another choice was Super Pac-Man on which I easily snagged the high score because nobody else was interested.

Evil Otto from Berzerk is an excellent #1 choice for this list. I'd probably include those damn bats from Castlevania. Not scary but damn frustrating.

JPX said...

I'd include those monsters from Tunnel Runner!

Landshark said...

I started to respond earlier about I've never heard of most of those games either, and yet Evil Otto as the #1 choice redeemed the list in any case.

But then I couldn't think of any really good villians to suggest in place of these, so I deleted my post.

The only one I could come up with was Mike Tyson from the old NES game. Man, when you finally got all the way to him the first time, and he walks up and just wails on you...I think most kids cried.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...