Monday, May 19, 2008

'Prince Caspian' rules, but 'Iron Man' stays strong at box office


By Scott Bowles, USA TODAY

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian ruled theaters this weekend, but his reign was hardly what some had predicted.

The second installment of the Narnia franchise did $56.6 million, according to studio estimates from tracking firm Nielsen EDI.

Some analysts had projected the movie to do $70 million.

While the film earned an A- from audience pollsters Cinemascore and a recommendation from more than 70% of the nation's film critics, Narnia, like last week's Speed Racer, lost business to Iron Man.

The comic-book adaptation, which kicked off Hollywood's summer May 2, dropped a scant 39% to take second place with $31.2 million. The haul brought its three-week total to $222.5 million, the year's highest-grossing film to date.

The Ashton Kutcher-Cameron Diaz romantic comedy What Happens in Vegas also held well, dropping only 31% for third place and $13.9 million.

Speed Racer, the $120 million race adventure from Andy and Larry Wachowski, began its plummet on the charts. After opening in third place last week, it dropped 59% for $7.5 million and fourth place. The Tina Fey comedy Baby Mama was No. 5 with $4.6 million.

Ticket sales were down 27% from the same weekend last year.

5 comments:

DKC said...

Yay Iron Man! I played hookey (how do you spell that?) on Saturday and hubby and I went to see a 10:30 AM showing!! We liked it a lot.

JPX said...

I loved it too!

Octopunk said...

Jules and I saw Baby Mama last night and it was hilarious. Both actresses really brought their A-game.

I find myself really not caring about Prince Caspian for some reason. Too much going on.

Yay for Iron Man. Too bad for Speed Racer.

Landshark said...

I'm in the same boat with Caspian. I think that was my least favorite of the books as a kid. Plus I wasn't overwhelmed by the first movie in any case.

Baby Mama looks solid.

JPX said...

I'll wait for Netflix to catch Narnia.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...