Monday, July 13, 2009

That guy who taught us that eating a lot of fast food will make us fat is set to direct Simpsons documentary


From slashfilm, 20th Century Fox has announced that Academy Award-nominated documentary filmmaker Morgan Spurlock (Super Size Me, 30 Days) will produce and direct a documentary on the cultural phenomenon of The Simpsons. The documentary will be titled The Simpsons 20th Anniversary Special in 3-D on Ice, and will air on Thursday, January 14th 2010 on Fox. In the tv doc, Spurlock will examine the cultural impact of the longest running comedy in television history, and how the fictional family has seen the world for two decades.


“When they first called me about this, I thought it was a prank and I hung up,” said Spurlock. “And then my agent called back and said, ‘No, no, this is for real,’ at which point I fainted. Then when I woke up, I called everyone I knew because it was the coolest thing I could ever get to do in my career.”

Spurlock’s documentaries are best known for their first-person narrative, putting him at the center of the experience, on a journey to find an answer (usually within a short time restraint). It will be interesting if this Simpsons doc will be more like a traditional television retrospective or if it will feature Spurlock on a journey to discover why The Simpsons have become such a huge part of American pop culture.

Spurlock and crew will be on hand at the 2009 San Diego Comic-Con International to audition fans on July 25th for a chance to appear in the special. Applicants should submit contact information and note which character they embody and how to RealLifeSimpsons@gmail.com.

3 comments:

HandsomeStan said...

That is the coolest thing he'll ever do.

There's an imminent gathering of the SoCal chapter of Horrorthonners, maybe this week or next.

Octo, 50, any thoughts on going to San Diego for Comic-Con that weekend? I will be blissfully unemployed at that point...

Octopunk said...

Unfortunately this is not the year for me. I'm afraid I'm umemployed without the bliss, if you take my meaning.

But something...horrible will occur, marc my words.

Re: Morgan Spurlock, he's going to be competing against all the meta- Simpsons episodes, like that one in which they say the opening credit supermarket scanner reads "NRA Forever."

Trevor said...

I was 11 when the Simpsons first came on the air, close to Bart's age of 10. Now I'm 30, close to Homer's supposed age of 35.

I get almost philosophical thinking of how I've gone the distance from Bart to Homer every Sunday night for the last two decades. Crazy.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...