Thursday, July 23, 2009

Death of a Ghost Hunter


***1/2 (2007)

Although I do continue to watch horror year round it's not often I feel moved enough to do an off month review. This movie however merits a little looksie especially for those of you who are fans of "The Blair Witch Project". The set up tells us the story is based on the journal entries of a ghost hunter leading you to believe the film is based on truth. Though not a 4 star film it certainly had it's merits. It was convincing enough to have inspired several blogs and forums to erupt discussing whether or not the story was real, sound familiar?


After a grizzly, confusing and somewhat disturbing opening sequence we arrive at the main story. The plot is simple, Carter Simms is a ghost hunter who is hired for $5000 to spend 3 nights in an inherited haunted house where a family was murdered. She agrees to do it with the company of a cameraman and a reporter. Upon arrival a young crazy eyed Jesus praising chick shows up claiming to be sent by the house owner to make sure things are kept respectful to the family. From here we spend the rest of the film exploring the wonders of the supernatural with the foursome.


The house looks ordinary, no creepy haunted mansion here adding to the "truthfulness" of the story. Also, it's shot partially with hand helds and night vision to give it that "Ghost Hunter" feel. The acting is poor, but the ammateur quality of it actually seems to aid in the 'did this really happen' feel of the film. I do recommend turning the surround sound up for this one since most of the jumps and jitters are accompanied by scream and loud noises, makes it more fun to watch. Anyhow, it was an interesting little film and I'd love to hear another opinion on it. Oh yeah, JPX there's boobs!

2 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Thanks for the hot tip Catfreeek! Duly noted. I'm totally jonesing for a horror movie right now.

JPX said...

Man, now I want to watch horror too! Must resist urge, must resist. By November 1st I'm usually sick of horror and can't wait to watch something else. By August I'm itching to watch some scary flicks but I resist. Instead I begin copying tons of Netflix movies in preparation. This year I started collecting films early. I can't wait for October.

Nice review! This is my favorite kind of story (i.e., "You must spend a night in a haunted house...").

July 24, 2009 4:23 AM

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...