Friday, October 18, 2013

Gravity

*****


In case anyone hasn't seen this movie, I'm going to try avoid spoilers. The film examines the human experience, the trauma of life, and the emotions of impending death through an intimate study of astronauts attempting to survive in space after getting detached from their shuttle when debris hits during a space walk.

I'm not sure if the rest of the horrorthonners will count this as horror, but I'm including it because I found myself genuinely moved by the film's realism. The film hit me with real tension and real fear -- the fear of abandonment, the fear of isolation, the fear of death, the fear of failure, the fear of not breathing, the fear of impending doom.


(note: My review was written before Julie posted her review. I'm so happy that Gravity officially counts for horrorthon. It's one of the more traumatic films I've seen, but I was worried that that was because I had trouble expanding my lungs for a few months after a car accident last year and the sound engineers did a damn good job portraying someone without access to lots of oxygen and a lot of access to panic.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This movie looks good. Horror or not, I'm gonna watch it.

JPX said...

AnonyMous, you should definitely check it out - but make sure you see it in 3D! If possible see it on IMAX, I wish I had done that!

Catfreeek said...

Sign me up for the IMAX experience, sounds great!

DKC said...

I totally want to see this. Actually skipped the review - although I'm sure it's good!

AC said...

yes, go for 3d IMAX if possible!

Octopunk said...

I, too, am convinced.

Tami, that type at the end of your review is super duper tiny.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...