Monday, October 07, 2013

Kidnapped

2010 **** ½

JSP strongly urged me to watch this film, actually he insisted I watch it and I am so glad I listened. You can read the JSP/Crystal Math collaborative review here. The film deals with a family who just moved into a new house when a group of masked men burst in and hold them hostage. The intent is to force the couple to drain their bank accounts and make off with the money. Things do not go smoothly.

I am completely on the fence when it comes to home invasion films. For example, The Strangers frustrated the hell out of me because I saw numerous ways the couple could have taken the upper hand but failed miserably. Kidnapped is not like that at all, this film is tight and realistic. The desperation of the parties involved is masterfully executed, as is the accelerating anxiety of the perpetrators. If I had to use a horror worthy catchphrase to describe this film I would have to call it a nail biter. Thanks for the recommendation JSP, I believe I’ve already returned the favor.

8 comments:

AC said...

sounds great, what's the biddy quotient?

Catfreeek said...

Oooh I think it might be a little much AC. Have Mr. AC screen it first and gauge it for you.

Octopunk said...

Like predicament movies, I have little interest in home invasion flicks, so it's nice to know about a good one for when I need to move out of my comfort zone.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Excellent, concise review Catfreeek! I wouldn't say I love home invasion movies but I have seen some incredibly potent ones ("High Tension" and "Inside" come to mind). Unsatisfying ones (like the film I watched tonight) can be an excruciating exercise. "Kidnapped" is my favorite of this kind of movie.

Landshark said...

Hm, I sort of like this genre--in the sense that they generally creep me out, which is of course their goal. Will have to give this one a try.

AC said...

thanks for the warning catfreeek!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I just noticed that I said the same exact thing in my comment as my review last year. That's something JPX would do!

DKC said...

Maybe this will be my "challenge movie"! But probably not.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...