Sunday, October 13, 2013

Lake Placid

(1999) ***
In the wilderness of Maine, Delores Bickerman (portrayed by Betty White) holds her own. A lonely widow with only her cross-stitch patterns and bovine buddies accompanying her, she makes a modest living while the Sheriff and Fish & Game officer investigate a giant monster that's been eating bears and people. City slicker and evolutionary biologist Kelly Scott (Bridget Fonda) as also been called to the lake because a tooth found identifies a tooth found on site as belonging to a pre-historic species of saltwater gator.
Might have been a liiiiiiiiiiittle bit more interesting if the guy on the left was Chris Farley. Alas.
Before long, the state officials move their tents and equipment to try and fish out the gator, disturbing the peaceful nature and Delores' tranquil abode. They put her under house arrest when they suspect she is just as big a threat as the gator towards the well-being of the people. Which would only be true if you recall the boring stories of St. Olaf that White would tell as Rose Nylund of Golden Girls fame. Details of other characters' lives and the plot of Lake Placid seem a little dry and formulaic: state and government officials hunt down an animal terror that's been claiming lives and who knows who could be next. Bill Pullman doesn't do much to pull his own weight as the Fish & Game officer, and now that I think of some of the movies I've seen him in, he doesn't do much in those movies to pull his own weight, either. He's just a laid back sort of guy, and when he's shoved in the spotlight or put in a place of authority seems easier to push over than a house of cards. Fonda as Kelly Scott just struck the wrong note with me because if there's one more thing I can't stand other than city folks, it's entitled city folks.

I would have begun this final paragraph with "In summary, . . . " but there's just not a whole lot to summarize regarding the characters or plot. There's a croc. People die (you could probably guess how). And Betty White.

10 comments:

Octopunk said...

I watched this before the days of Horrorthon and I think I would have rated it lower. I always want to like Bridget Fonda but often she's awful.

Catfreeek said...

I think I would have rated it lower as well but I'm assuming Betty White is the one who earned all those stars from you.

Trevor said...

I haven't seen it, but I'm guessing that at the end, it turns out Betty White is feeding the gator? Or, its her pet or something like that?

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I am a Bridget Fonda. I thought she was fantastic in A Simple Plan.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

As far as I know this marks the one and only time a Golden Girl has appeared in a horror flick although I do recall seeing Stanley Szbornak in a couple. I'm gonna go check.

Crystal Math said...

Stanley Szbornak is in a lot of small roles! JSP I think you're thinking of that "Murder, She Wrote" episode where he was the cranky bus driver!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Haha, that's exactly what I was thinking of!

Also I meant to say "I am a Bridget Fonda fan" before, because clearly I am not a Bridget Fonda.

AC said...

may have to see it just for betty white.

Crystal Math said...

JSP why have you lied to me all these years? I thought I was seeing Bridget Fonda.

JPX said...

This is a fun movie although (warning) the second one is unwatchable because it was a made-for-tv movie on the SYFY channel (terrible FX!). Fun review, Crystal!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...