Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Plague

2006 ***

Suddenly all children nine and under begin seizing then fall deep into a coma. Ten years later they awaken just as suddenly but now have a murderous agenda.


These children have a collective mind like the Borg and I always find that concept really scary. Imagine how hard it would be to hide or get away from them when they can inform the collective in an instant. The other thing about this film is that the "children" are no longer children when they awake, most of them are well into their teens which makes them a force to reckon with. I would have rated higher but I wasn't entirely happy with the explanation of the phenomena in the end. Still, it has Dee Wallace in it so there's that.


10 comments:

JPX said...

This sounds great - There is nothing scarier than Borg-teenagers! It reminds me of that famous movie (damnit bad memory!) where all the kids in the town become a collective evil force. What the hell is the name of that film? It's going to bother me all day now.

Catfreeek said...

Village of the damned?

JPX said...

Thank you! Yes, your description of 'The Plague' sounds similar to Village of the Damned.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I've coincidentally stumbled into several movies this year involving evil children. I just want to smack the little jerks!

Crystal Math said...

I see Borg-teenagers every day.

Octopunk said...

This sounds like Village of the -- oh.

Ha ha Crystal!

Ain't Dee Wallace great? My one question is from stuff I learned from the novel The Dead Zone: wouldn't ten-year coma victims be unable to walk from muscle atrophy? Are there long scenes of Borg-teen physical therapy?

AC said...

omg, i just did an assessment with an "acting-out" 7-year old... he might have been an escapee from this movie! among assorted moments of chaos, he broke a treasured memento in my office. guess i should consider myself lucky.

DKC said...

Oh jeez, AC! I was just laughing at Octo's comment but now I'm sad you're memento was broken!

Catfreeek said...

Octo they actually address that in this movie, the children have a full body seizure twice a day to keep their muscles and circulation working.

Octopunk said...

Well all right then.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...