Saturday, October 05, 2013

This Is The End


2013 ****

Seth Rogan and Jay Baruchel attend a party at James Franco’s house along with several other celebrities all playing a sort of character of themselves. Suddenly the earth begins to shake and all hell breaks loose trapping the small group of friends with little means to survive the apocalypse.



Mastering the fine art of the comedy horror is no easy task. There is a fine line drawn between cheesy and funny, once that line is crossed the film tends to go into a fatal tailspin. I have tremendous respect for the precious few that get it just right.


There are so many factors that make this film gel. The obvious relationship they have with each other beyond filming, the added personality quirks (e.g. Franco’s man crush on Rogan or Jonah Hill’s over-sensitivity), even the way they prioritize their rations. Though they acknowledge the fact of a very real threat beyond the confines of the house they appear to be holding on to a belief that it will blow over somehow. I had to put this film on the board though it does ring more comedy than anything else. Still, it has all the elements of a horror film, large foreboding creatures, gore, possession, a huge predicament and even cannibalism. Though I fully enjoyed the film from beginning to end I sit here at a loss for words in describing it. I believe it is just difficult to convey the entertainment factor without siting specific scenes, which in my eyes would just be spoilers. If you haven’t seen it you’re missing out.

7 comments:

Crystal Math said...

I'll have to check this one out -- I feel like I got an overload of Seth Rogen but I'm ready to step back in the bro-comedy game.

JPX said...

Catfreeek, I couldn't agree with you more! This is the funniest movie I've seen in the last 5 years - so funny, in fact, that I saw it twice. It's Seth Rogen's shining moment but Danny McBride steals every scene he's in. Hilarious from beginning to end, I can't recommend this more. I've been telling JSP to see it for months but he just rolls his eyes at me. I love this film and intend to pick it up.

Landshark said...

Nice, I've been meaning to see this since it came out.

Catfreeek said...

JPX, Tony rolled his eyes at me too but after he watched it he changed his tune.

DKC said...

Excellent! I had heard good things about this too - not just from JPX - on the list it goes!

AC said...

love this movie and plan to watch and review it this october as well.

Octopunk said...

Great idea to include this! I, too, ache to see it but haven't yet. The "everybody playing themselves" thing sounds like a blast.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...