Tuesday, October 15, 2013

They Live



(1988)***

A drifter becomes aware of a dark, secret conspiracy just below the surface of society.

Another 80s cult favorite I'd never seen before, probably putting me in a minority of one.  Mostly this was an entertaining if clunky sci-fi actioner with a message.  I have to admit I was falling asleep towards the end, which isn't the best sign. It would probably have been a lot of fun to watch this in the theater when it first came out, but the intervening years, and the small screen, weren't kind.

4 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I always loved this dumb movie. Roddy Piper is a one-of-a-kind dude.

Catfreeek said...

What stands out in my mind is that fight scene that goes on forever.

Landshark said...

Ha, that was on deep late night cable replay a lot this summer. I tried getting into it a few times, but could never stick with it.

Octopunk said...

A lot of John Carpenter's flicks have this junky feel to them. It makes it hard for me to get into them because I can't see a global alien conspiracy being taken down by some scrubs out in nowhereland.

Still, the scene where he puts those shades on the first time is a sci-fi classic.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...