Saturday, October 26, 2013

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension


(1984) Cult film/B movie ****

Japanese-American neurosurgeon rock-and-roller Buckaroo Banzai and his hard rocking, crime fighting team, the Hong Kong Cavaliers, create a rocket car that can break the sound barrier, and with the aid of their secret oscillation overthruster, propel the car and its occupant through the 8th dimension.  But this success creates an opportunity for evil Red Lectroids, led by insane Lord John Whorfin, to attempt to escape their imprisonment in this dimension on Earth and return home to Planet Ten.

It's really hard to rate such a beloved and oft-watched film.  The cast is amazing, there is plenty of action and tongue-in-cheek humor, dated 80s garb, throwaway one-liners and tiny comic touches, and it really gets better with multiple repeat viewings; however, on first (or enforced) exposure, it can be confusing or frustrating, and not everyone likes it (Mr. AC fell asleep watching it last night) .  I saw this in the theater the year it came out and did not especially like or get it then, though now it is one of my go-to happy-making movies. Hopefully some of you guys love it too, but I'm open to hearing from anyone who doesn't (JPX, perhaps?).

6 comments:

JPX said...

I saw this film when it first came out, but I did not understand it. Over the years I have tried to watch it again, but I always end up falling asleep returning it off. I have great respect for this being a cult classic, but I simply am not into it. I sweetie you

JPX said...

Those last three words should say "nice review"!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I remember not liking it but I haven't watched it in twenty or so years so I'll reserve judgment. I have been meaning to revisit it for a while now. I sweetie you

Catfreeek said...

I love this film and happened to catch it on cable over the summer. I sweetie you too.

Octopunk said...

I totally sweetie this movie! If I compiled a list of my top twenty favorite flicks it'd probably be in there, and it's my number one favorite for cheapo indie flicks. It strikes the perfect balance between shlock and sincerity.

DKC said...

There have been several times when Octo has tried to show me this movie - and I too have fallen asleep. So, I don't sweetie this movie - but I do sweetie all of you!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...