Friday, January 26, 2007

Holy ship!


From AICN, "Here's a shot from this weekend's STAR TREK Remastered. The episode is "For The World Is Hollow And I have Touched The Sky", in which the Enterprise encounters an asteroid that is actuality a multi-generational ship...conveying a populous that has long since forgotten they're actually on a space vessel.

The newly rendered "asteroid" is based on NASA photographs of real asteroids. The asteroid-ship seen here is called Yonada. As a youth, it took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out it wasn't called "Yomama".

FTWIHAIHTTS is also the episode in which the intimidating monolith tries to cook Kirk and Spock, which scared the hell out of me back in the day."

5 comments:

Octopunk said...

Hey Jordan, they used NASA photos! Woo to the hoo.

That looks pretty cool. I don't remember this episode at all, which means I probably haven't seen it since I was a kid.

I read a John Varney short story once about a fake multi-generational ship that the govt. sets up to test the psychological effects. One character is a doctor who's in on the gag (and can leave the "ship" if he wants, through a secret door). Shortly before he dies, he finds out the duped family inside the phony ship actually found out the truth a long time ago.

JPX said...

I just love that they're doing this to TOS! It makes this 30+ year old series fresh all over again. What other shows could use this treatment?

I must confess that I haven't seen all 79 episodes. I'm going to wait for these remastered episodes to come out on DVD or HDDVD and grab them up then for a mighty marathon.

Jordan said...

It's an awful, awful episode; one of the worst of the third season duds. McCoy falls in love (yawn) and thinks he's going to die (yawn).

JPX, shame on you!

Jordan said...

"What other shows could use this treatment?"

Space: 1999 (if they replaced EVERYTHING BUT the effects shots).

JPX said...

I know, I know, I am ashamed. The problem is that growing up it wasn't always in syndication and when it was I was never able to watch it consistently. Whenever I did catch it I'd see the same episodes over and over again. I planned on getting the season sets on DVD but they were priced waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too higg.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...