Wednesday, March 21, 2007

More Trek hyperbole

Robert Justman, who served on "Star Trek" and "Star Trek: The Next Generation" as a producer, told trekmovie.com recently that he is anxious to see the next franchise film as re-imagined by JJ Abrams and his staff.

"I want to be there as part of an audience when the first meeting occurs," Justman said. "Can you imagine you have Kirk on some planet and he turns a corner and someone turns around -- it is Spock or Spock’s father? It would be so thrilling."
Saying he would be happy to serve as a consultant for the film, Justman said that he feels the sets, ships and costumes should resemble those in the original show.
"I think it is very important because it gives the audience something to hang on to. If everything is changed, then it is foreign," Justman said. "But it is a conundrum. Mr. Abrams has got to make certain choices and they are tough choices, because you are committing everything to this one enormous effort. You have to be careful not to make people look askance at it. They should be able to be comfortable with it."
As important as that is, Justman feels that maintaining the true essence of "Star Trek" is critical.
"It is an adventure! And it is thrilling! Those are the kind of things it should be. People on the screen should not only surprise themselves, but the audience," he said.
Justman feels that some fans will find watching the next movie "difficult."
"The people who said “the original was a great show and don’t fuck with it” [will have a hard time]. If you have to fuck with it, then go ahead and do it, but do it right," he said.
Noting that he finds the current situation very familiar, Justman said, "I remember when we were preparing 'Star Trek: The Next Generation.' There was a Star Trek convention in Universal City, and I invited myself over. Now this is before it aired and they were angry. All kinds of rumors were flying about and they were none too thrilled. I said 'the least you could do is wait for something you could see, but don’t condemn us out of hand because it is important to us to make a wonderful show.' That was my message. Just be a real good human being and let’s see what they’re offering and then make up our minds. Don’t play it down before its’ time."
Justman remains optimistic about the next franchise film.
"I will tell you what is going to happen. JJ Abrams is guaranteeing a tremendous audience. He is knocking over all these shibboleths. He is doing something that is audacious, and that is a great adventure. Maybe it won't satisfy the purists ... probably it won’t because they know better than anyone else, but I don’t care. I am a filmmaker. I want to make something that people will remember and talk about for the rest of their lives. Doing it the old way isn’t going to do it. 'Star Trek' broke ground. And what I hope happens is that JJ is audacious, that he does something new. Surprise me."
The interview may be read in it’s entirety at Trekmovie.com
"Star Trek XI" is scheduled for release in theaters on December 25, 2008.

15 comments:

Jordan said...

Justman's cool!

I think he invented the Romulans (I may be remembering wrong). All those guys in the sixties doing Trek had cohones of steel!

Nowdays, I'm sure you can go anywhere in Hollywood and say, "I'm working on Star Trek" or "I'm working on a sci-fi television show" and everyone just nods and says "Mm-hm...mm-hmm." because it sounds reasonable. In 1966 the same people would scream "ARE YOU CRAZY!?" and start pelting you with plates of party food or household objects or whatever happened to be lying around.

And yet, somehow, Robert H. Justman and buddies managed to create Star Trek.

Octopunk said...

All right, I'm pretty damn psyched about this movie and all, but how many press releases will there be about how they're trying so hard to change it/keep it?

"It's hard, but we want to update it yet remain true to the original, which is difficult, because fans will want it like the original but we will also want to update it for new fans, and that's a tricky thing to do, keeping it and updating it."

It's like having Goldilocks and the Three Bears read to you, except the bears had a ten-course meal laid out. Too this, too that, just right. Too this, too that, just right. Etc.

Jordan said...

It's important damn it! If you can worry about variant action figure releases you can worry about the future of Star Trek.

Octopunk said...

You're missing my point. I was psyched the first time I heard about this aspect of the production, but I've heard the same speech half a dozen times now and I want different news.

Jordan said...

But it's different, important people saying it each time

Octopunk said...

Okay, I'll keep track of my action figure variants and you keep track of that.

Jordan said...

Yeah! I mean, it's Bob Justman!

That's the Star Trek equivalent of getting an X-Men comment from Chris Clairmont or getting a Beatles comment from George Martin.

(Or something like that. Bob Kane. John Romita. you know.)

Octopunk said...

You're Bob Justman!

Jordan said...

"You're a towel"

Octopunk said...

I may be a towel, but at least I know how to spell Chris Claremont.

JPX said...

Nerd fight!

Jordan said...

Don't come to me next time you need some Elvish translated!

Octopunk said...

Aw, now he misspelled Elvis!

Jordan said...

That was so funny, I forgot to laugh.

Octopunk said...

Then he forgot to laugh! Your credibility is in the hole, man.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...