Thursday, March 12, 2009

Finish It Monday THRU Friday (now with Illegal Other Story Option)



I don't want to pervert the rules TOO much; I'm just simply trying to drum up support. Plus I just watched a double feature (inadvertently) of War Games and Thirteen Days. (The latter of which I worked on, and my name's in the credits, and I had a whole freighter at my command, but that's another story...)

Here's a shorter, more accessible (maybe?) short story beginning for some folks. I don't advocate next week's winner offering double stories, I simply wanted to offer a shorter option. With more sci-fi nerd potential. (gulp) So here we go...

Do you remember the Cuban Missile Crisis? Probably not. Do you at least remember the film footage of the kids in grade school being instructed to hide under their desks in the event of a Soviet nuclear attack? Probably you do.

Did you ever think that there might have been one, just one kid, who questioned the nature of such a thing? One kid who understood enough of what he had been told about nuclear weapons to know that his 5th grade laminated wood desk would offer just about ZERO in the way of protection?

I was that kid. Sure, I hid under the desk just like everybody else, and I went through the 70s and 80s paranoia just like everybody else. I can almost laugh about it now. Almost.

When the spaceships appeared over our cities in December of 2012…

13 comments:

AC said...

handsomestan i swear i'm working on my derek story, will finish it tomorrow.

is there a length limit?

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Easy Catman, I'm working on my Derek story also and it's going to rock your world by the way.

So where are the haiku results?

How was Fleetwood Mac?

DKC said...

I'm getting to the haiku results your highness-ship. Some of us are tired after a great concert, and at work. Whine, whine, whine.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Oh it's ok Brain, take your time. No hurry, no hurry. *fingers crossed*

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Incidentally, have I told you how charming and good looking you are lately?

HandsomeStan said...

Shameless, JSP. And disregard Story Option #2. Just more fodder for the group, if needed...

AC, no length limit whatsoever, as my original post sort of blew the doors off that element completely.

And there's at least two other ushers on here and a cashier that I'm hoping to hear from...

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Well according to Cheeesefreeek's status update she has the day off today so hopefully she's pecking away on her keyboard.

DKC said...

How is this posted as Friday??? My haiku winner post went below this...

HandsomeStan said...

I know...weird. I might just take this one down later, as all it's doing is muddying the waters.

Catfreeek said...

I have the day off Friday not today Mister, read those status updates right. I have been working on a Derek ending but I haven't finished it yet.

Dana's Brain do not be swayed by JSP's unbridled ass-kissing cause if he loses again this week you can rest assured that you will be added to his shit list. Shameless is right.

JPX said...

I programmed Stan's pos to remain at the top because I didn't want to bury it under other posts when I came in this morning. I'll put the haiku post at the top now. Power!

AC said...

handsome stan, i just submitted my derek story ending under the original post. can't wait to read the other endings, and can't wait to read the original true story.

Catfreeek said...

I'm submitting mine as well, right now.

Can't wait to read AC's and anxiously awaiting more:)

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...