Monday, March 23, 2009

Music... Tuesday (?) Fantasy concert question

I miss talking about music now that we are all trying to write the great American story ending for finish it Fridays, so I hope you don't mind if I post random, music-themed items, concert reviews, or questions every so often. A couple of nights ago Mr. AC asked me casually what one concert or performer I wish I could have seen live. We discussed why the answer was not Woodstock nor the Beatles. That particular evening I went with Hendrix, ideally in a small London club, even more ideally when he and Clapton were jamming together in the mid-late 60s. Mr. AC went with Led Zeppelin back in their early prime, good one.

So let me ask you all the same question: any musician/band/orchestra, living or dead, pick the one show or performer or concert you wish you could have seen! Throw in a rationale while you're at it, I'm all ears. And thanks to Mr. AC for the idea.

7 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Hmmm indeed. Both of those are excellent choices. The first thing that came to mind for me was Syd Barrett era Pink Floyd in a small club in London. Either that or Wicked Lester (the legendary and great early KISS incarnation). What else...

- Janes Addiction circa 1988
- The Stooges in the 70's
- Joy Division, late 70's
- Brian Jones era Rolling Stones
- The Doors
- Elvis (don't like him but the experience...)

No wait, scratch that - my #1 would be The Velvet Underground in 1969 = fucking hell yeah.

I miss the music chatter too and I'm still working on a review of the mind fucking Primal Scream/Brian Jonestown Massacre gig I caught last week.

JPX said...

Hmmmm,

The Beatles (rooftop show, if I could have been on the roof)
The Doors
Pink Floyd The Wall tour
KISS Dynasty tour
New Order
Cream
Guns 'N Roses (Appetite tour)
Van Halen (1984 tour)
Moody Blues
Queen
Deep Purple

miko564 said...

This is an interesting one...

I too would have liked to have seen Pink Floyd The Wall with R. Waters

Stevie Ray Vaughn's final show (Clapton was there, and said he remembers thinking he wished he could be that good just once...)

The Rat Pack at the Tropicana (I don't care what anybody says, it don't get no cooler than these boys. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x20u8j_rat-pack-live-sinatradeansammy-john_music )

Octopunk said...

The Beatles in Hamburg, after they ditched the greaser look and went mod.

(Culling the idea more from the movie Back Beat than anything I know about them.)

Jordan said...

Beatles at Shea Stadium

Keith Jarrett Koln Concert 1975

Pink Floyd Animals tour

Talking Heads at CBGBs

Radiohead OK Computer tour

Hendrix at Woodstock

Catfreeek said...

This is tough and everyone has named so many great choices.
I would have loved to see the Dead at the Filmore back in the day. Janis Joplin playing any ole blues club would have been fantastic. Jefferson Airplane, Alice Cooper in his glory days, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young all together, The Beatles.

But I would have to say that my number one regret is that I never got to see Frank Zappa live.

AC said...

i love every single pick with the exception of KISS.

johnny, please post your primal scream review! i'm dying to read all about it.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...