Sunday, March 01, 2009

Re-Animator Remake Coming in 3D


From slashfilm, The next attempt to resurrect the Re-Animator line of undead misadventures will reportedly be a 3D remake of the original film. Shock Till You Drop tell us this rehash will come courtesy of producer Ray Haboush and Brian Yuzna, director of the Re-Animator sequels and producer of the first entry, which I take to mean that Stuart Gordon most likely won’t be involved. A gutting shame because I had him pegged as the one chief of the Re-Animator team with genuine aspirations for the series.

Last we heard, Gordon was developing House of Re-Animator, a sequel that would take the walking-corpse antics into the White House but that on-again, off-again prospect probably won’t survive the threat of a more market friendly 3D remake. Besides, until President Obama makes a popularly accepted screw up, the concept of evil zombies in the Oval Office will seem a little out of touch with the zeitgeist.


Those who know me “from real life” won’t be at all surprised to see me writing a Re-Animator piece as I typically mention the film at least three times a week. I don’t think it’s a particularly good film, and indeed I reckon it is in many respects rather wonky, but I rather dearly love it. Re-Animator is always my example of a guilty pleasure. I can’t defend all of it’s filmmaking choices - indeed, some leaving me feeling rather dirty - but I still treasure it. It does have genuine brio and a trio of really, really zippy, bright performances from David Gale, Barbara Crampton and, most fun of all, Jeffrey Combs.

No comments:

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...