Thursday, July 02, 2009

It's not underwear, it's dynamite

I was flipping through an Advertising in the Seventies book when I happened upon this little gem from 1973. Fortunately I had my camera with me. In the past JPX has posted some amusing Star Trek and Marvel superhero underwear for kids; in terms of sheer embarrassment I kind of think this tops them all. I suppose every era has its fashion crimes, but the 70's were like downright anarchy.

Here's what the whole ad looks like.

And here's a not-quite-as ridiculous boot ad from 1971. Check it out, there's a naked chick next to him! He just scored! Or, she got tired waiting for him to unlace his boots and now he's leaving.

In a way, I sort of wish I could have experienced that era as an adult, because the notion that boots and underwear like this would be synonymous with heterosexual virility is pretty unique. In another way, I am on my knees thanking the gods above that I was only a child during that time and had no accountability about what I wore.

Munsingwear?

3 comments:

HandsomeStan said...

The guy with the mustache in the back is clearly the only one with any misgivings about what he's wearing. Everyone else is strangely REALLY into it.

Surprising, considering the mustache...

(And I might add you're doing a fantastic job as webmaster, Octo!)

Octopunk said...

Oh, thanks for saying so. I actually feel like the output's been a bit low, but it's because Zack has been mildly sick this week so I haven't brought him to daycare. Leaves me with little time to blog.

AC said...

sorry to hear Z is a bit under the weather! hope he feels better soon.

the copy in the ad explicitly states that dynamite is "more masculine," which prompts me to ask, more masculine than what? more masculine than a feather boa on a tranny? more masculine than richard simmon's sweaty corset strings? or just more masculine than a vagina?

(nb this is the relatively clean version of my original comment. without jsp arouund i just couldn't commit to the smutty possibilities).

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...