Friday, November 13, 2009

The Strange Door


(1951)

A 17th-century nobleman (I know, yawn) tricks a local ruffian into passing through the only door of his Maletroit chateau (I know, yawn) in order to force the handsome lad into marrying his beautiful niece. Years earlier the nobleman’s brother married the one woman the nobleman was truly in love with and she passed away during childbirth. By forcing this thug to marry his niece, who he believes would make her life miserable, he would have his revenge (?) Meanwhile the nobleman’s brother has been locked in the chateau’s dungeon for the past 20 years unbeknownst to all but the nobleman and Boris Karloff, who plays the brother’s keeper. The plan backfires badly when the ruffian and niece fall in love after much bickering (think Moonlighting) and decide to escape the house with the aid of the sympathetic Boris Karloff. None of this sits well with the nobleman, of course, and he concocts a clever deathtrap for the young lovers.


Publicity shots always look so stupid

Sigh. I just can’t get into movies that involve “noblemen”, “chateaus”, “barons” or people named ‘Alain, Sire de Maletroit’. There’s just something about these words and the like that make my eyes glaze over. Perhaps this is why my brain shuts down if I’m forced to watch a film set in the Victorian age (e.g., almost anything starring Keira Knightley, I exaggerate).


I bet JPX would hate this movie

In The Strange Door the nobleman’s “revenge” is more convoluted than a Bond villain’s scheme and just as pointless. Wouldn’t locking his brother in a dungeon for 20 years and telling everyone that he’s dead be sufficient revenge? There’s a pretty good climax involving a waterwheel mechanism and slowly closing walls but it would be misleading to call this “horror” despite being included as part of a Boris Karloff “horror” collection.


I assure you that JPX would hate this film

14 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I couldn't agree more. I find it difficult to even type the word noblem...a.. noble...maa. nobl.. you know what I mean.

It's like whenever I see someone wearing one of those George Washington wigs my mind shuts down in self protection mode and replaces it with images of KISS or breasts and what not.

Catfreeek said...

I actually like those Victorian type movies but I'm not so sure I'd go for this one.

That last picture looks like she has a dead cat on her hat.

Jordan said...

No harshing on Keira!

Catfreeek said...

C'mon Jordan, tell me that doesn't look like Garfield's ass in the middle of her hat.

Jordan said...

I can't get past the emotional effect of that scene, which is the first time Georgiana actively campaigns for the Tory party (and the future Prime Minister). The whole point of the scene is that she's out amongst the commoners for the first time, which is why she'd dressed like that. The Duchess of Spencer was instrumental in bridging the gap between the socialite classes and the political forces of the day (late 18th Century), around the time of the French Revolution, so that hat has, you know, political significance. I'm not even kidding. It's such a great movie...

Jordan said...

So it's not a Victorian movie...it's about 100 years earlier than that.

Jordan said...

Duchess of Devonshire...her last name was Spencer; she's Diana Spencer's great-great-great-aunt, which is part of the whole message of the movie. Things haven't changed that much.

Catfreeek said...

I haven't seen it but I'm sure I would love it. I do enjoy movies like that. I have to watch them alone, my hubby and the boys scatter like rats when I pop one in.

Jordan said...

"Garfield's ass in the middle of her hat" indeed. Respect the Knightley!

Jordan said...

BTW Catfreeek I'm watching "Fear(s) of the Dark" right now. Awesome! Thanks again for the recommendation.

Catfreeek said...

You're welcome :)

JPX said...

I like Keira Knightley a lot - I'd just rather see her in films where she is wearing less, not more. did you ever see The Hole? Pretty good creepy tale. Here's a shot that may may you want to see it, http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.espnsportsnetwork.net/IMAGES/CHISME/Keira%252520Knightley%252520Nude%2525201%252520-%252520The%252520Hole.jpg&imgrefurl=http://patiopatiopatio.blogspot.com/2008/10/from-show-last-night.html&usg=__rekt9uVGAMTaP5hzq7njwoEc_jE=&h=387&w=311&sz=24&hl=en&start=18&um=1&tbnid=kDWINA0fagV-GM:&tbnh=123&tbnw=99&prev=/images%3Fq%3DKeira%2BKnightley%2Bthe%2Bhole%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1R2GGLR_enUS347%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Jordan said...

That's a really long URL, but it was worth it.

Octopunk said...

Well, I'm coming late to this party.

I think the title of this movie is hilariously amateurish. Love it.

I don't share your disdain of things antique, JPX, but I loved reading about it. You old grouch.

The revenge scheme in this movie is not just ridiculous but also pathetic. Why revenge on his niece? What a self important jerk.

I like Keira Knightly, but that does indeed look like Garfield is sleeping on her hat with his butt aimed at the camera.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...