Thursday, November 12, 2009

Let the Right One In



(2008)

Don’t get me freakin’ started on vampires. If there’s one horror theme that’s been overhyped, overplayed, outdated and thoroughly exhausted over the years it’s the vampire film. I don’t find them appealing, erotic, scary or even slightly interesting. As far as I’m concerned, vampires can go suck it – and I’m not talking about blood if you know what I mean (and I think you do). If you’re thinking about pointing out that True Blood is breathing new life into the genre then please refer your observation to my butt cheeks because I’m not interested. (I gave it 4 episodes but aborted due to the horrendously irritating accents.)

Let the Right One In is an outstanding exception. It’s really not fair to categorize it as a vampire movie or even a horror movie. The vampire aspect merely serves as the backdrop to a more important story. It’s an unapologetically earnest tale about a twelve year old Swedish boy (with an uncanny resemblance to Prince Herbert) learning to take care of himself, defend himself and ultimately become a man. It’s also a love story. And it’s Swedish to boot! Don’t let the words “earnest” or “love” deter you because there are genuine chills to be had as well.

I’ll spare you a plot summary. The other clowns discussed the effectiveness that the landscape and bitter cold brings to the story. I could not agree more. Recurring themes of loneliness, abandonment and isolation permeate the film and I can’t think of better visual accompaniment for those bummers than indifferent blankets of stark white snow. I have no problem awarding LTROI five gretchens. The acting is superb, the story is touching and I feel it deserves to be ranked up there with the greats.

Unnecessary remake alert: Cloverfield director Matt Reeves is helming the American version and frankly I’m a bit worried. According to producer Simon Oakes it promises to be “very accessible to a wider audience”. (I.e. it will be a big stupid movie with big stupid actors and all thought provoking ideas and subtexts will be removed so that people who not think so good no have to think so much. Prove me wrong Reeves!)

7 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Now that I think about it, the Pipe in the Ass factor ranks pretty high in this one too.

Whirlygirl said...

I love this movie and can't agree more with the five Gretchen rating. I don't have high hopes for the remake either. I'm sure there are a mountain of things that will get screwed up, but primarily I think the acting will fail. The two kids are awesome and I can't imagine adequate replacements will be found.

Catfreeek said...

There is no need for a remake, in fact the only reason for this to be remade is because those "people who not think so good" don't want to read subtitles and some American schmuck wants to ca$h in on their stupidity. I say fuck 'em all.

Excellent review JSP

HandsomeStan said...

I would like to point out that the phrase "refer your observation to my buttcheeks" is now going into HEAVY rotation in my personal vocabulary. And variants thereof. Sheer wordplay genius.

What a FANTASTIC argument reBUTTal (caps intentional). "Oh, I hear what you're saying, I really do, but perhaps you'd consider the opinion that...*buttcheeks*"

This is a VERY impressive review: very very hilarious (as always, JSP), nice TRIPLE hyperlink on the other reviews (which I didn't have the time to fully review - so sorry, guys), and FANTASTIC Photoshop job on Alex (Herbert) sorry Herbert with the guy.

Are we still nominating and shit for Best Review, etc?

Octopunk said...

We are! I'll probably start another discussion post over the weekend. We're still gathering reviews.

"If you’re thinking about pointing out that True Blood is breathing new life into the genre then please refer your observation to my butt cheeks because I’m not interested."

I'll just say this because it's true. Other than my own reviews (because I'm a narcissist), Johnny Sweatpants's are my favorite to read.

JPX said...

Another terrific review, JSP! I've been putting off my own review of this film because it's already been reviewed by the masters and I simply find it an overwhelming task to try to say something new and original about it. I loved this movie as well although I'd rate is only slightly less because I don't think that there's much of a pipe-in-the-ass payoff and the story felt a bit overlong to me (it could have been the wine).

Whirlygirl said...

Jpx, it had to have been the wine. I'm beginning to see that this is becoming your favorite phrase.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...