Monday, November 02, 2009

The Uninvited


(2009)

A girl returns home after a suicide attempt following the death of her mother. Anna's mother tragically died in a fire, although Anna was a witness she remembers nothing from that night. When she returns home she finds her father is now married to her mother's former nurse, Rachel. Anna is unhappy with this and after talking to her sister Alex they become suspicious of Rachel's past. Alex and Anna then go on a mission to expose Rachel's devious intents.


The Uninvited is an American remake of the Japanese film, A Tale of Two Sisters which was reviewed by DCD last year. Two Sisters is totally deserving of the 4 Gretchen rating DCD gave it although the film was a little confusing for awhile it pulls together nicely at the end. The Uninvited was a bit more predictable and the acting itself was not near as solid as the original.


What I did like was that the confusion factor was not present in this film. It flowed along quite well and still retained the twist at the end. I just didn't care for Emily Browning in the lead role. She seemed sullen and rather wishy-washy. I guess it sort of went with the character but it made me want to slap that self-loathing emo look off her face. Still, not a horrible film all things considered.

6 comments:

Jordan said...

I saw Tale of Two Sisters and didn't like it at all...it didn't seem to make any sense. Maybe I should watch it again. It just seemed completely illogical.

Catfreeek said...

I watched it twice, the first time I was confused by it but I wanted to watch it again before watching The Univited. The second time it pulled together for me but I still felt confused in the middle of it for awhile.

Jordan said...

I suspect that there are Asian "ghost story" cultural conventions involved, that are just unfamiliar and make the story more difficult for Westerners to understand.

JPX said...

I didn't like or understand Tale of Two Sisters either. I didn't really like The Uninvited too much - review coming soon as soon as my work computer virus problems are resolved.

DKC said...

I honestly think I kind of over-rated that movie last year. It was confusing to me also - I don't know if it was the end result that had me rating it so high or reading about it when putting my review together.

Either way - the thing I thought was weird when I read about the remake was that Elizabeth Banks plays the new wife. Huh?

Octopunk said...

I have no experience with either version of this film, but I have to point out that one of the sisters in The Univited looks a lot like Kelly on The Office (the American Office, and the new, causasian Kelly).

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...