Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Take One


Last weekend we began filming of the local indie film that I am doing FX for. I was going to wait until I had something more exciting to post but then thought you might all appreciate my first experience with film as it truly was. To describe my day in a word? Long.

Filming took place at a house in Cranston, inconveniently located across from a fire station. A couple of scenes had to be redone due to sirens. Tony & I arrived at 4 pm, a great group of guys greeted us and I have to say that I was so relieved to find everyone so easy to get along with, felt like we've known them for years. We spent from 4 to 5:30 chatting and waiting because one of the actors was late. I was briefed on what was needed from me and told that the FX wouldn't come into play until later in the day.

At round 8 we were told to take a 15 minute break (I still hadn't done anything) which turned into a 1½ hour break due to technical difficulties. There was a problem with a boom mic which turned out to be no one knew where the power button was. At 9:30 we began filming again and by 10 I was finally needed and here's the pay off for my long ass day.

Not a good gash like this one. Nope this was me practicing stuff at home.


Or even a beat up face like this one. No Tony didn't give me what for, I did it to myself.


Just a bloody neck. Yup, that's it.

More to come as my experience in film continues. Life's just one big adventure and I intend to explore as much of it as I can.

13 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

So why is their blood on the neck?

JPX said...

Cool! Let me know when they need someone to supervise the nude scenes.

Octopunk said...

Welcome to your first new skill for live-action shooting... waiting around! Stan, am I right?

Catfreeek said...

The blood on the neck is from getting whacked with a cactus.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Cool.

Catfreeek said...

I first used a blood powder that is invisible on the skin but turns to blood when wet. We watered the plastic cactus and when it hit his neck droplets of blood appeared. Then I had to clean him up and stipple on some blood gel for the rest of the scene.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I never thought of using a cactus as a weapon. I wonder if anyone has been killed with a cactus before.

Catfreeek said...

On "1000 Ways to Die" they showed 2 guys that were both individually killed by cacti while tripping on acid running through a cactus garden.

HandsomeStan said...

I've had some bad trips, but never quite that horrible. You should've haiku'd about that one!

I was actually quite impressed that the technical delay on set was "Not Turning The Boom On." THAT'S a new one by me.

How's their AD? He would be the one yelling at people.

Octopunk said...

Wow. Just when I thought there wasn't a dumber running maneuver than Nicolas Cage's Wicker Man character getting stung by a bee and running headlong into a field of beehives, here come the Cactus Boys.

Catfreeek said...

Uuuhh Stan, what AD?

Octo your killin' me :)

Whirlygirl said...

Cat, that arm gash looks great!

My sister once tumbled down the stairs and onto a cactus plant. She had tons of needles sticking out of her arms and legs. My mom had to chase her around the house for hours with tweezers. There was lots of screaming. I'm still traumatized by it.

Catfreeek said...

Whirly that sounds like it would make a great cartoon.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...