Friday, December 02, 2011

JPX's Best of Horrorthon 2011

Wow, what a great, fun season! I am very pleased with the selections I made this year and I enjoyed nearly all of them. Here we go...



Favorite Movie: Lake Mungo

Weeks later I am still thinking about this unsettling film. Lake Mungo is a slow burning examination of fear and loneliness. I’ve never seen a movie that seamlessly combines chills and pathos so effectively. I hope everyone watches this haunting story next year. Close runner-ups include Troll Hunter and The Tunnel.



Hidden Gem: Rare Exports: A Christmas Story

This charming Finnish film plays almost like a live version of Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas without the insufferable musical numbers. Part freaky but mostly charming this film will become an annual favorite to bridge the gap between Halloween and Christmas. It has a terrific, unique style and it’s one of the few films I have seen where I didn’t want to toss the child actors into a meat grinder.



Worst: Hellraiser: Revelations

The Hellraiser films have always been the b-movies of the horror landscape. While the first two have some game most feel more like segments from an anthology series that never made it onto the air. I generally enjoy this series but this attempted reboot was a failure in every respect. Doug Bradley was wise to sit this one out. Close tie with Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark.



So Bad It's Good: Deadly Messages

This 1980s made-for-television has it all; damsel in distress, easy-to-solve-mystery, and a laughable killer (see above).



Most Disturbing: Megan is Missing

While not a “scary” movie Megan is Missing is a very unsettling look at tweens and the trouble they are capable of getting into due to bad teenage judgment. Not only was I bothered by the “danger” I was also troubled by the film’s depiction of disturbing teenage behavior.



Goriest: SAW 3D

Human Centipede 2 would be my pick but I never wrote up the review. With SAW 3D you get the usual sequence of gory, literally side-splitting traps.



Scariest: The Tunnel

While Lake Mungo is my pick for favorite due to its unsettling nature, I would have to say the claustrophobic setting of The Tunnel creates a suffocating environment where escape is nearly impossible. What makes it especially creepy/effective is that it does not take place in a remote setting but rather underneath the streets of a bustling city.



Memorable Death: Troll Hunter

Turning a raging troll into a rock with a beam of light is one of the more original deaths I’ve seen in a long time. Sledge hammering the troll rock to pieces is just the icing on the cake.



Best Lookin' Monster: Troll Hunter

The trolls of Troll Hunter ranged from completely silly to downright scary. I loved the look of these guys.



Avoidable Death: Dream Cruise

Rather than accepting a strange invitation from your lover’s husband to take an unscheduled boat trip, you would be wise to make up an excuse.



Funniest: The Ghost Train

It begins and ends with Tommy Gander. I will let the picture speak for itself.

3 comments:

Catfreeek said...

Great wrap JPX, you found some real beauties this year, many of which are sitting in my queue as we speak.

"...it’s one of the few films I have seen where I didn’t want to toss the child actors into a meat grinder." ~That's enough to sell me right there, top of the queue!

Great year all around, this was one of the most fun Horrorthon's yet.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Kickass wrap up JPX! I think you had your best year yet in terms of both your selections and your reviews. It seems like you put a lot of research into your choices and it definitely paid off. I only hope I can find a copy of Rare Exports before Christmas. I love that damn picture of Kringle!

Also I'm curious about Megan is Missing because you keep mentioning the teenagers' behavior and I want to know if it is really that shocking or if you're just a cranky old man.

Crystal and I watched Lake Mungo last week and totally dug it!

Octopunk said...

That was a cracking good roundup and an excellent Horrorthon performance! It's also notable that you watched the most movies (not counting our two resident powerhouses, of course).

I'm as amazed at the number of found footage movies you uncovered as I am how many clown flicks JSP found. I love to see your enthusiasm for a subgenre go all brushfire like that. It's what Horrorthon is about!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...