Saturday, February 14, 2009

I was there for the tennis, no, really!


Yeah, if anything she's more beautiful in person. As those of you on facebook already know, Ticketmaster has become my mortal enemy. Their siren song lured me into attending Championship Cup tennis in Boston today, which yielded extreme close-up views of Anna Kournikova, Tracy Austin, Mats Wilander, Mikael Pernfors, Jim Courier, and John McEnroe himself! Now JPX is always complaining that getting old sucks, and maybe it does, but today age and experience won over youth and beauty. Mats Wilander and Tracy Austen, both solidly into their mid-forties, beat 45-year old Pernfors and 27-year old Kournikova; and McEnroe, who turns 50 on Monday, beat 38-year old Courier in straight sets. Watching those fit, 40-something mothergretchers scamper around the court and whale on the ball was a joy. The banter amongst the players was also highly entertaining, and Johnny Mac even threw a couple of fits during his match. I happen to prefer tennis players who behave like gentlepersons on the court, but I gained some insight into the tantrums viewing them firsthand, and it's hard not to respect McEnroe's talent even now. Hmm, I wonder if I can still get tickets to the finals tomorrow... I mean, damn you, Ticketmaster!

5 comments:

miko564 said...

She is a reasonably attractive young woman...

You think you could play handball off her stomach?

Landshark said...

Nice recap, AC! I went to a McEnroe v Borg exhibition about 10 years ago--it was great.

JPX said...

Awesome, AC! Oddly enough tennis is the only sport I can enjoy watching, all others cause me to disassociate.

Catfreeek said...

Loved your post AC. I used to watch tennis often but over the past 10 years or so I've pretty much lost total interest in sports. The only exceptions being bull riding and ninja warrior of course.

I never saw tennis live but after reading your recap I'm thinking it might be fun sometime.

AC said...

miko- yes, if one could somehow get past her bodyguard.

landshark- cool, i've never seen borg play live! another of the all time greats for sure.

jpx and catfreeek- i watch tennis on tv these days only sporadically, but watching live (especially if you can get close to the action) is really something else- you get a sense of how hard they hit the ball (hint: really hard), how incredibly athletic the players are, hear them coaching themselves, observe funny little moments tv doesn't capture, etc. plus i am starstruck. plus lots of players are easy on the eyes.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...