Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Octopunk's Best of Horrorthon 2008

I wasn't going to do this during the day because I didn't want to drop a post over Haiku Hump Day, but Whirlygirl's sudden entrapment in a Brown University basement leaves me a window. I love doing Best Ofs at the point at which I've finished all my reviews, and of course I didn't do that until last night, so... here goes.

1. Favorite: Ravenous. This movie possesses all-around greatness. Robert Carlyle as a cannibal makes perfect sense.

2. Hidden gem award: Let the Right One In. Everything you want out of a horror movie, sent as a snow-covered sneak attack from Sweden.

3. Most disturbing: It's Alive III: Island of the Alive. Not disturbing in the usual horror movie sense, but disturbing in the way the actors were allowed to hold the movie's hand and lead it wherever they felt like, replicating the feeling of a fever dream for the viewer.

4. Scream Queen: Autumn Beeser in Lost Boys II: The Tribe. Cute as hell, even when covered in blood. Admittedly she had little competition last year. If not for Autumn I would've had to go with Julia Stiles in Omen 666 -- who I think is cute, but she wasn't really working "babe" in that movie.

5. Worst: Legend of the Chupacabra for being cheap without charm. The Masters of Horror entry Dreams in the Witch House also had a generous helping of suck.

6. So Bad It's Good award: The first It's Alive: vintage 70's paranoia and dread set among vintage '70's wallpaper and dread.

7. Goriest: Shallow Ground. Looking back, I didn't watch too much super gore last year, so I'm giving it to the bloody naked boy. There was a decent amount of spatter in Lost Boys II as well.

8. Most memorable death: The poor dude in Pan's Labyrinth who has his face unexpectedly caved in by this guy. Ouch.

9. Best looking monster: Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, baby! Classic Ray Harryhausen sculpture.

10. Scariest: War of the Worlds, for its grand scale depiction of the systematic extermination of the human race.

There. I now declare my own personal 2008 officially over. Love ya!

3 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Awesome roundup Octo! Nothing like the last minute...

DKC said...

Nice! Especially since desroc just got War of the Worlds and I wasn't sure if it would be on the acceptable list. Eexxxxxcellent.

JPX said...

I'm very impressed that you banged out all your reviews, especially so close to Horrorthon 2009. I hope you don't experience early burnout! You did a terrific job, as aways.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...