Sunday, October 12, 2008

A Tale of Two Sisters

(2003) ****

Our story opens in a mental hospital where Su-Mi, a young teenage girl is being interviewed by a Doctor. He is asking her about her family and if she can remember anything from "that day."

Cut to Su-Mi and her sister Su-Yeon coming home with their father. They go in the house where they are confronted by their step-mom who puts on a show of welcome that seems pretty forced. She also manages to get in a dig about how they both must be feeling better after their stay in the hospital.

As the girls try to settle back into their home, some freaky stuff starts to happen. Combined with the nastiness of the step-mom they are not having an easy time. And of course, things only go downhill from there.


I know I'm being vague on the plot - but there are some twists and turns that I don't want to reveal. There are effective scares in a good, classic J-horror (well, Korean horror to be exact) style that had me gripping desroc's arm pretty tightly. The director does an excellent job with the setting as the house they live in is creepy and dark. Things got a little confusing in the last 20 minutes of the film, but righted itself in the end. More psychological then a Ju-On, this movie still had great elements that would make me recommend it overall.

What I probably will not recommend is the American remake that is coming out in 2009 - apparently starring Elizabeth Banks as the evil step-mom. *sigh*

5 comments:

JPX said...

I watched this about 5 years go and I have to be honest, I got so completely confused that I didn't understand what happened. Whirlygirl wanted to watch this, perhaps I'll give it another spin.

Catfreeek said...

I liked it as well but funny thing is my hubby got confused by it and I had to explain it to him.

DKC said...

Yeah - I know what you mean about the confusion. I had to think about it for awhile. In retrospect, I actually think I may have been a little generous with my stars. Oh well.

Octopunk said...

Wait, do you not like Elizabeth Banks or is she just wrong for the part?

(I like Elizabeth Banks.)

DKC said...

I totally like Elizabeth Banks. From the preview it seems that the American version is nothing like the original. The step-mom has killed other families or something completely unrelated.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...