Thursday, December 10, 2009

I'll believe it when I see it Part 2


From worstpreviews, "Star wars" is clearly here to stay. We've been hearing about a new TV series for a while and back in October a rumor started going around that George Lucas was working on a new "Star Wars" trilogy.

Now, Thomas Dolby, who co-authored George Lucas' "Howard the Duck" theme song, updated his blog with a few words about his visit to California, confirming that a new "Star Wars" movie is in the works.

"My host is friend and former collaborator Paul Sebastien, who over the years has worked for Xbox, Playstation, and now LucasArts," Dolby started. "Last night he was telling me a little about the forthcoming Star Wars-related TV show, movie and online games — very cool indeed."

He added: "I'm not a huge fan myself but it sounds like Mr Lucas has got his head into a good place. I met him several times when I was working on a movie in the 80s called [name suppressed to protect credibility!] and he's a decent chap, but I could have done without the last three SW movies."

According to these comments, there is no question that Lucas is planning a new "Star Wars" movie and apparently it was a big secret since Dolby has updated his blog again in order to retract his statement. He claims it was all a big misunderstanding and that his friend is "very professional and discrete, and would never leak confidential secrets, even to a close friend."

9 comments:

Jordan said...

Probably more animated crap.

JPX said...

That would be my guess as well.

Jordan said...

If he A) screwed his head on properly and B) reunited Fisher, Hamill, and Ford (in non-starring, Alec-Guiness-type roles), the results could be great, but I'm not holding my breath.

JPX said...

I would love a reunion of the original cast - of course Ford hates the Han Solo role for some reason. He always describes it as "thin" but I don't see how it's much different than his Indy role.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Now why would Thomas Dolby go around announcing shit like that when he knows that it would send the nerds into a frenzy? Perhaps he was blinded by science.

Jordan, that idea to reunite the cast is so desirable that the cognitive dissonance is kicking in. My brain instantly accepted it as a fact even though I'm aware that there isn't a shred of truth to it.

Octopunk said...

"I'm not a huge fan myself but it sounds like Mr Lucas has got his head into a good place."

I don't need to actually make the joke, do I?

I agree that it's probably more animated crap, and it probably takes place in the seemingly eternal span of time between Eps 2 and 3. I wonder how many parents have been made to feel old by explaining that Anakin Skywalker is more famous as a villain.

Pff. I never even liked that name. "Anakin." Whatever.

Anyway, reuniting the big three certainly is an interesting idea, which never occured to me because of the ancient buzz about the final final trilogy, that would take place long after Eps 4 thru 6 and have the droids as the only common characters.

If he did do that it would be such a J. J. Abrams move. Which is why we know he won't.

I'd be okay if it were just Hamill and Ford. I'm afraid Carrie Fisher might blow the buzz the way she looks now (sorry Carrie!). Kind of like Billy Idol playing himself in 1985 in The Wedding Singer.

Octopunk said...

The "good place" is his ASS!

Jordan said...

I wish he would get it through his head that nobody cares about the Clone Wars because the entire thing is just a contrivance intended to allow for big battles without worrying about what the fuck they're fighting over, besides "the separatists" (i.e. a bunch of droids) vs. "the army of the Republic" (i.e. Jedi and a bunch of "clone" stormtroopers), with both sides having been created and fueled by Palpatine and his minions. It's pure horseshit even in the context of the story, in other words.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Damn straight Jordan!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...