Thursday, December 03, 2009

Patton Oswalt: "At Midnight I Will Kill George Lucas With A Shovel"


After seeing the excellent Ratatouille last month, I realized I recognized the name of the dude who did the voice of the main character (you know, the rat who can cook), and after sitting there frowning for a moment trying to place him, I remembered that he'd been a guest on a couple of episodes of Dr. Katz: Professional Therapist (maybe the funniest show ever). So I dug out my DVDs of the complete Dr Katz ("Pirate!") and watched his segments, which were funny enough that I started hunting for Patton Oswald routines on YouTube and found this excellent one about George Lucas, which I thought you guys would like. (It's not even a real video clip; just audio, but it's still worth it.)

3 comments:

JPX said...

Although the show is mediocre at best, Oswalt is really funny as Doug's loser friend on The King of Queens.

Octopunk said...

I just got around to listening to this and oh my GOD that was funny. Very good attack on the prequels from a direction I hadn't quite considered.

Jordan said...

I'm sure we've talked about it: that was always my basic critique of Phantom Menace. What is the fucking point of coming in so fucking early? Why not start with Anakin at least as old as Luke is in ANH?

I never understood the need to start with a fucking little boy. My cynical explanation at the time had to do with toys, marketing, and Lucas' own pre-adolescent kid(s) messing with his thinking. I remember a quote where he was talking about downplaying the romance in Attack of the Clones and saying that the kid audience "doesn't like the 'yuccy' stuff" (i.e. romance). I said, "Has he even fucking seen Empire Strikes Back?"

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...