Sunday, December 13, 2009

Near Dark




(1987) **

Horrorthon ’09 is "officially" over (and I’ve already done my summation), so I don’t feel compelled to do a particularly circumspect job on this flick. I wasn’t even going to review it, except I’m a little bit irritated because I feel like every time I turn around these days I’m dealing with James Cameron, and damned if my experience with this vampire movie doesn’t fall right into that category.

I’ve been hearing about Near Dark since it came out (in the late ‘80s), always in glowing terms, with everyone insisting that I see it. As far as I can tell it’s a beloved, favorite example of the genre. But what I wasn’t quite picking up on was the telltale detail that it was directed by Kathryn Bigelow. And this turns out to be a real dealbreaker, not only because she’s terrible (take a look at Blue Steel or Strange Days if you don’t believe me) but because she’s a pure Cameron minion, who was making movies under his ham-handed, super-obvious, egomaniacal tutelage for several years (while being married to him). Everybody made a big deal about how she’s female and therefore it’s “interesting” that she directed the execrable Blue Steel (in which cop Jamie Lee Curtis has to shoot psycho lover Ron Silver) and especially “interesting” that she directed Point Break (“100% pure adrenaline!”) which I have not seen, but which I’m not exactly optimistic about. But it’s just not that interesting; it’s merely an excuse to give her credit for only half-knowing how to do anything. (I'm not saying female directors are inept, obviously; I'm saying that Bigelow is an inept director who gets undue credit simply because it's unusual for a woman to be directing action movies.) It’s more of Cameron’s ridiculous “feminist” posturing.

Earlier this year my friend Alex tried to induce me to go with him to see Hurt Locker, which, like the rest of Bigelow’s oeuvre, is supposed to be so brilliant, but once I saw her name as the director the jig was up and I demurred. He reported back that the movie was “well-intentioned but strangely disappointing,” which is exactly how I feel about Near Dark; after all the buildup it’s just an ineptly-told vampire story, with the same kind of leaden plotting and scenery-chewing acting as Strange Days (a truly horrible movie), and with what seems like most of the cast of husband-to-be Cameron’s Aliens (Lance Henrickson, Bill Paxton, Jeanette “Vasquez” Goldstein) reproducing their signature schtick. There’s even a theater playing Aliens in the background of one shot, just in case you miss the point.

The premise is suggestive, but the premise is always at least “suggestive” in Kathryn Bigelow movies. The concept of a group of vampires operating like an outlaw biker gang, moving around the American Southwest in search of their prey, is kind of cool, and their power structure and methodology is intriguing. But they’re pretty lame vampires; they don’t obey the standard vampire rules (since Bigelow doesn’t have the directing chops to create sequences where they’d be bats or flip sideways and disappear or suddenly have fangs, and she and her co-writer don’t care anyway) and they don’t seem supernatural at all. The actors who aren’t from Aliens (Adrian Pasdar as Caleb, the reluctant new recruit, and Jenny Wright as Mae, his undead tutor) are colorless and lame. The second act builds, not to a suspenseful or exciting sequence, but to a Cameron-style ridiculously-overblown shoot-out (with big vehicles colliding); some of the shots are in slow motion, Peckinpah style, but none of it has the balletic grace that Cameron himself can always supply. (There are ten-minute stretches of Terminator 2 Judgment Day and Aliens that are sheer kinetic perfection; Bigelow has no idea how to construct anything nearly so sublime.) Then the plot takes a truly ridiculous hard left turn, violating vampire principles nearly beyond recognition before climaxing with more truck collisions and gasoline fireballs and cowboy bullshit, and a final ending that (like all Cameron-esque stories) gets lost between macho nihilism and cornpone sentimentality.

I shouldn’t be so irritated by Near Dark except that I feel ripped off, and, worse, I feel ripped off by James Cameron, which is a sensation I’m just awfully tired of. Of course his lame girlfriend director has the same problems as he does (super-obviousness, pretentiousness, a nerd’s unquenchable desire to be “badass,” and a bizarre faith in Jeanette Goldstein’s acting ability). Of course there are legions of fanboys and fangirls going bananas over what turns out to be an artlessly violent comic strip of a movie. (I’ve got nothing against comic strips or movie violence, obviously, but there’s no other way to put it.) Bigelow is the kind of filmmaker who wants it both ways—who wants to be given credit for “playing with the boys” (in both senses, in Bigelow’s case) but simultaneously expects to be given special dispensation for inability to cover the bases, on the grounds that this “unconventional” approach is somehow preferable. It’s like Tim Burton sneering “I’m not interested in ‘what a great shot.’” (Convenient!) According to fans on IMDB, I’m supposed to be “impressed” that Near Dark has no effects shots, exactly the way I’m supposed to be “impressed” that M. Night Shyamalan disdains all optical/digital/visual trickery, since it would somehow compromise his “pure-film” vision. Sorry, no sale.

ADDENDUM: P. S. It's not scary.

12 comments:

Catfreeek said...

"and a final ending that (like all Cameron-esque stories) gets lost between macho nihilism and cornpone sentimentality."

Although I did not feel as passionately soured to this film as you were I really hated the ending and your words are dead on.

JPX said...

I remember that I really enjoyed this film when it first came out - I even had the movie poster hanging in my dorm room. When it eventually came out on DVD I quickly snapped it up. When I got around to viewing it again I remember being supremely disappointed. It bums me out when something I recall fondly doesn't stand the test of time. I sometimes find that it's more fun to recall something as being enjoyable than to watch it again with older eyes and have my original memory tarnished. Also, I'm totally with you on Kathryn Bigelow movies. I had no idea that she's married to Cameron. Terrific review.

Jordan said...

Okay, what a relief! I'm not alone. I was really worried that I was missing something, or in a bad mood etc. because the flick was supposed to be so awesome and it turned out to be so lame.

It's just more proof that the '80s were pretty much a dark ages for movies. Lots of good ideas but everything's overshadowed by Reagan-era philosophical confusion. I used to say that everyone did their worst work in the '80s: David Bowie, Garry Trudeau, Elvis Costello, Woody Allen, Bruce Springsteen, Stephen King, Steven Spielberg...everyone had a bad decade. (Obviously there was lots of great stuff, but in general everybody was fundamentally out of tune.)

Cameron and Bigelow were married for a few years and then he divorced her and married either Linda Hamilton or the girl from Titanic (the one who's old Rose's assistant/niece). I can't keep all his "awesome badass babes" straight.

Somebody was saying that it would be cool if Hurt Locker was more successful than Avatar, serving him right etc. but judging by the early positive reviews it no longer looks like Avatar is going to flop.

Jordan said...

And, as I mention in my addendum, it's not scary! How hard to you have to work to make a vampire movie not be scary?

Octopunk said...

Well, I still like this movie. I just read my review from Horrorthon 2004 (pre-blog) and I gave it four stars. For me it came down to how well the Tangerine Dream score played against the agoraphobic shots of the bleak, open country found in the middle of the U.S.

I like the action scenes in this, too. And I'm a sucker for different slants on the vampire idea (even at this late stage in the game).

On the other hand, for years I've been calling this Kathryn Bigelow's only good movie. When I had free and constant access to Showcase Cinemas, I popped in to watch the opening of Blue Steel before my real movie started, and I thought it was great. I came back a few days later to catch the rest... oh, so horrible. Like pushing down the trash to fit more in and having something squirt onto your hand. It was a while before I could take Ron Silver seriously again.

Point Break elicited a similar reaction.

So I think Jordan's assessment of her half-knowing how to do stuff is quite apt, if not a little generous. And I love this: "I shouldn’t be so irritated by Near Dark except that I feel ripped off, and, worse, I feel ripped off by James Cameron, which is a sensation I’m just awfully tired of." That made me laugh.

But I guess KB managed to Forrest Gump her way through Near Dark enough to make it work for me. I should point out that, although not a dealbreaker, I've always felt the transfusion vamp cure is horse shit. In the commentary for 28 Days Later Danny Boyle mentions that they considered that as a Rage cure, but realized there's no way you could scrub clean every capillary. Nice to know someone was paying attention.

(Speaking of being ripped off by Cameron, 50 and I conferenced last night and got tickets to see Avatar in full blown IMAX 3D on the Monday after it comes out. The saga continues.)

Jordan said...

This movie makes me appreciate Interview With the Vampire even more. Like Dune(see below), that's a movie I really liked that's based on a book I didn't read. But Neil Jordan's a much better director than Kathryn Bigelow, and (combined with the perfervid material from the book) the story deals with the ins and outs of vampire communities (and the scope of their powers and immortality) in a vastly more interesting way than Near Dark. I'll have to see that one again.

Jordan said...

Octo, did you actually watch it again for H'thon 2004? What am I saying; of course you did. I'm trying to figure out how you liked it. I got the part about the score: every Tangerine Dream score is great. (Notably Risky Business and Miracle Mile; Firestarter less so.) But the movie's so lame...and not scary. Well, to each his own...

JPX said...

I love TD scores and Miracle Mile is one of my favorites - I still have it on cassette. The Keep is an underated TD score.

Catfreeek said...

I still like Near Dark too but the ending really is lame, that's the problem I have with it.

Jordan said...

By the way, in case anyone hasn't seen it, Miracle Mile is a great movie!

JPX said...

I love miracle mile!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I also remember really liking Near Dark but since I can't remember a damn thing about it I have no choice but to side with you based on your passionate argument and literary flourish.

I'm so with you on the 80's too. In addition to Bowie and the others you mentioned I'd like to add Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd (and Roger Waters solo), Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Led Zeppelin, Queen, The Who and Aerosmith as (arguably) formerly great musicians who completely lost the plot. Oh, and then there's Buster F'in Pointdexter who went from leading the legendary New York Dolls to singing "we be hot, hot, hot". *shudder*

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...