Monday, June 30, 2008

Kevin Smith Reviews The Dark Knight


From slashfilm, Last night was EPIC. I had one of those movie experiences that only happens once in a long long time, where you leave the theater completely blown away by what you just experienced. Folks, this isn’t hype - The Dark Knight is a movie will destroy your expectations.

Not only did I get to see The Dark Knight, but I got to see it with one of my favorite directors / one of my idols - Kevin Smith was my guest. How cool is that? I honestly didn’t plan to name drop, but it seems like Smith talked about it in his latest blog entry. And as cool as that sounds, and was, Nolan was some how able to completely overshadow that fact with his new film. I’m under embargo not to review the movie until release (not that Warner Bros would shoot me over the completely glowing review I plan on posting), but Smith gives his breif spoiler free review which almost completely echos my own thoughts.

“Without giving anything away, this is an epic film (and trust me: based on the sheer size and scope of the visuals and storytelling, that’s not an overstatement). It’s the “Godfather II” of comic book films and three times more earnest than “Batman Begins” (and fuck, was that an earnest film). Easily the most adult comic book film ever made. Heath Ledger didn’t so much give a performance as he disappeared completely into the role; I know I’m not the first to suggest this, but he’ll likely get at least an Oscar nod (if not the win) for Best Supporting Actor. Fucking flick’s nearly three hours long and only leaves you wanting more (in a great way). I can’t imagine anyone being disappointed by it. Nolan and crew have created something close to a masterpiece.”

10 comments:

AC said...

dark knight will be released during our alternate-year family reunion, so i'll have to wait to see it. i'm not complaining: 3 generations of my family running wild in upstate new york (with no cell phone reception nor wifi) should be more than sufficiently entertaining.

DKC said...

AC, do you have a file full of different Bubbles images or what? I crack up every time there is a new one!
I am also envious of having such a rich mine to pull from in terms of avatars - awesome choice!

AC said...

thanks dcd... i am just being a wiseass. i have some basic bubbles images saved on my desktop, but often (like with this one for instance) i just search for images on the internet and plug 'em in.

miko564 said...

JPX, I think I am in New England again for the opening of this one too...can you still get me into the Showcase for free?

JPX said...

Believe it or not, I still have some pull there because the same manager is still there! I think we're doing a group Dark Knight thing when Octo comes next month.

miko564 said...

That's funny, I am coming back "for work", because my old high-school friend Jay is going to be in RI from the 17th to 26th and I haven't seen him since Max was born...

Life is funny.

DKC said...

I want in on the Horrorthon movie night! Especially if it's in Seekonk!

miko, I can give you directions.

AC said...

wah, i will miss it. :(

miko564 said...

Nicely played DCD, nicely played.

HandsomeStan said...

I used to work there, too, JPX, and if it's Peter or Tony Cuoto you're thinking of, I can add a little bit of pull to that (Tony and I are Myspace friends, so that's gotta count for SOMETHING).

So I'd be thrilled to have a Thon-a-palooza at Showcase Seekonk, and I bet I can lend a strategic hand, if our numbers swell...

We're on a Tuesday thru Saturday workweek, so I'd probably only be good for a midnite show on Saturday. Which is when you should see a Batman movie anyway.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...