Wednesday, June 25, 2008

ROLLING STONE LOVES "THE DARK KNIGHT"


[Excerpt] Heads up: a thunderbolt is about to rip into the blanket of bland we call summer movies. The Dark Knight, director Christopher Nolan's absolute stunner of a follow-up to 2005's Batman Begins, is a potent provocation decked out as a comic-book movie. Feverish action? Check. Dazzling spectacle? Check. Devilish fun? Check.

I can only speak superlatives of Ledger, who is mad-crazy-blazing brilliant as the Joker … If there's a movement to get him the first posthumous Oscar since Peter Finch won for 1976's Network, sign me up. Ledger's Joker has no gray areas — he's all rampaging id.

Every actor brings his A game … Michael Caine purrs with sarcastic wit as Bruce's butler … Morgan Freeman radiates tough wisdom as Lucius Fox. Gary Oldman is so skilled that he makes virtue exciting as Jim Gordon … Eckhart earns major props for scarily and movingly portraying the DA's transformation into the dreaded Harvey Two-Face, an event sparked by the brutal murder of a major character.


Read glowing review here

7 comments:

miko564 said...

I cannot wait for this bad boy! It is actually going to get me into a theatre.

(DCD, want to warn the people around me about what a bitch I am at Batman flicks?)

JPX, you got me into the Burton Batman preview for free as I recall....(but my memory sucks)

DKC said...

Ha! Just give Katie a head's up before hand on what to expect if it's too chatty in there!

AC said...

what's the story behind those comments miko/dcd?

and i am psyched for this one too.

miko564 said...

AC, DCD knew me in my teenage years when I was a touch moodier...

There is a story behind our attending a Batman film together that I will allow her the pleasure of telling you.

AC said...

ooh, goody!

dcd?

Octopunk said...

I nearly got into a car accident right before seeing Burton's Batman. You know that road that lets onto route 6 immediately before the Seekonk Showcase entrance (I mean the old theater, and if you're coming from Barrington). Some foo was trying to pull out and I didn't slow down because I thought obviously she must see me coming, but I did say "Beep beep, lady, beep beep beep." And then she pulled out and I had to swerve into the lane of oncoming traffic to avoid her, SCREEEEECH, and fortunately it was empty but I had to SCREEEECH back into my lane and turn into the theater. And one of my passengers said "Don't say 'beep,' honk your fucking horn!"

A minute later one of my other passengers admitted that had been pretty exciting.

JPX said...

That's so funny miko, I'm sure I did let you into that debut. I worked at Showcase Cinemas for 6 years and I let people sneak in constantly. The Batman debut was a bad night for us. We were understaffed and the show was waaaaay sold out. There were so many people in the lobby it was almost impossible to navigate through and there was almost a riot. This was before films played in theaters with stadium seating and multiple screens. Now there really isn't any such thing as a "sold out" show. Indiana Jones, for example, played on 4 screens so you pretty much had the opportunitiy to see in on an hourly basis. These days I like to hit the Rustic Drive-In. The other day Whirlygirl and I watched The Strangers and Indiana Jones for $20. We brought a cooler of beer and Whirlygirl promptly fell asleep (JSP often falls asleep at the movies as well).

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...