Sunday, June 01, 2008

True Colors Boston 2008


Host: Carson Kressley

Lineup:
Kat Deluna
The Cliks
Regina Spektor
Intermission
Rosie O’Donnell
B52s
Cyndi Lauper

What can one say about 6 hours of gay-friendly music and comedy at a fabulous Boston venue? Even though none of these acts is a particular favorite of mine, taken together they made for a delicious and totally satisfying entertainment smorgasbord. Carson was a funny and charming host, and the musical acts all were great. I didn’t know anything about the first three acts and they all blew me away, for different reasons. Kat Deluna was spunky and adorable, the Cliks are an excellent hard-driving queer rock band (the amazing lead singer is trangendered), and Regina Spektor was astonishing, using her tremendous vocals, guitar, piano, and a drumstick in an unusual and clever percussive style.

My friends and I spent intermission discussing guilty pleasures in music, with thanks to Miko’s music Friday notion.

After the short break, Rosie did a good though sometimes surprisingly somber stand-up set, completely different from her TV persona and much more appealing (to me anyhow). The B52s totally rocked; I couldn’t stay in my seat. They played a mix of new and old stuff and it was all great. Cyndi Lauper capped the evening with her own energetic and heartfelt (and heavily accented) performance. My friends and I all admitted to getting “verklempt” at the end, when the entire lineup was onstage singing “True Colors.”
The whole evening was great, rocking, gay-friendly live music fun. The thunderstorm only added to the drama.

And like our very own JPX, I too was hit on, by a super-drunk lady in front of me (let’s call her “handsy”). Handsy was actually good-looking, but I couldn’t feel flattered since she was also molesting a man in front of her and a woman to her right who resembled a good-natured, drunken barrel. My friends, witnessing this, found it hilarious, and I found it only mildly uncomfortable.
Will unwanted attentions be the theme for summer concerts 2008? Only time will tell.

15 comments:

Whirlygirl said...

"a woman to her right who resembled a good-natured, drunken barrel." Funniest line of the week! Nice review, AC, it sounds like a terrific time. I would love to see the B52's. For some reason "Channel Z" is played a lot on the 80s station I like on satellite radio. I heard some of the new B52s songs and they fit seamlessly with the old stuff. I know what you mean about seeing several groups at once to enrich the festival experience. I'll be seeing some more music this summer, stay tuned. JSP essentially sees a concert per week so I fully expect him to jump in with a review or two.

JPX said...

Oops, the above post was from me - I forgot Whirlygirl was using my computer the other day.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

That's an interesting lineup I must say. Thanks for sharing AC. Where the hell are the Village People when you need them?

Why did the Cliks drop the "c"? And what did Cyndi Lauper sing aside from True Colors and Girls Just Wanna Have fun? And please don't tell me Rosie sang? ("Clang clang clang goes the trolleys" *shudder*)

JPX - I don't go to shows nearly as much as I used to. In 2008 I've only seen the Verve and Rogue Wave. (Both were awesome.)

Johnny Sweatpants said...

By the way, does anyone else think Flight of the Conchords is the funniest goddamn thing they've ever seen?

AC said...

thanks jpx aka whirlygirl!

sorry jsp but don't know about the cliks question.

the songs i recognized that cyndi sang were she bop and time after time in addition to true colors and girls just wanna have fun. she sang others that sounded familiar but i didn't know the titles, plus some new stuff that was good.

rosie did sing a little backup on a couple of tunes, and played drums on one of cyndi's songs.

the village people will be coming to boston but i plan to miss them. i am trying to be more selective this year, really.

stevie wonder is playing concord ca in july and i recommend you (jsp) and running freak attend if at all possible. stevie put on an amazing show last year in boston. one of my all-time top concerts, seriously.

AC said...

i love flight of the conchords!!!

what brought them to mind? i was just thinking last night i need to see them live.

miko564 said...

I have to admit that I don't like "Flight", I tried it 3 times then gave up. Perhaps the fact that I almost passed out I was laughing so hard at the Ipecac Syrup episode of "Family Guy" is indicative of my level of humour. It may be that "Flight" is too refined for me.

AC, congrats on being the first Horrorthoner to get randomly hit on by an attractive person! Nice job.

P.S. How militant was Rosie?

Julie said...

FOTC was here in LA...on my due date. It didn't seem like a wise investment, which was a shame. I love those guys so much. They sold out in about five minutes anyway. Before that, they had a free afternoon concert at Amoeba music, but I was too nappy that day and went home and slept. I forgot about the concert. It's probably for the best, since waiting in a long line and fighting through crowds is not my strong suit these days.

And...I don't get Family Guy. I sit and watch it with Octo and become that annoying person who tries to talk you out of liking something. I just sit there going, "Is this funny? Do people think this is funny?" I liked the Star Wars Family Guy, but so far, that's about it. How is Seth McFarlane so rich? Or do I just keep missing the good episodes?

miko564 said...

Julie, Family Guy is written for, and by, male 30-something geeks who never grew up, and like to reference things from their childhood. My wife, being younger and from Sweden, doesn't get ANY of the references and really doesn't like the show. She admits Stewie if funny, but that is all she will give me...
(I also have a near heart-attack every time Lloyd Bridges talks as the Admiral in "Hot Shots") I'm an idiot...

JPX said...

Also, Family Guy is replete with Rhode Island humor. It's un-American to come from Rhode Island and not love Family Guy. Also, boys like fart jokes.

[sigh] girls.

AC said...

hey, this female 40-something geek loves family guy... though admittedly i did spend 12 formative years in rhode island. maybe that's why i can watch family guy reruns whereas male 30-something husband will not.

miko, rosie wasn't at all militant. her routine was warm and personal, talking a lot about her issues with her own (deceased) mom and her three children. maybe in that setting she didn't need to be militant.

julie, any "movement," so to speak? baby z could arrive any minute now, correct?

Julie said...

So much movement. So little arriving.

My bladder is not happy.

JPX said...

AC, you've always been a cool chick!

Julie, enough already, have the damn kid! Seriously, though, he's due now, right? As in, like right now?

DKC said...

Wow, I missed all this today.

Great review AC, sounds like a great time.

I vote "Yea" for Family Guy. But Hubby is not so into it.

Octopunk said...

I love Conchords and also dig Family Guy, but when Julie asks me why it's funny I can't begin to explain.

Great post, AC! I'm jealous you saw the B-52s. Love those guys.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...