Monday, February 02, 2009

I made a giant Lego thing -- and I WON!


The event: the second annual You Control the Action contest. The original deadline was December first, right after a month when I needed to be writing Horrorthon reviews. Then it was pushed back to January 1st, and I still thought maybe I could pull it off, but Xmas put a stop to those dreams. THEN the deadline was pushed back to February 1st, and I still dragged my feet for two weeks. Thinking I'd get a good start over MLK weekend, I instead became real sick and couldn't think so good. By MLK day itself I recovered and started building.

I cranked on this thing, and here it is.



You can see all the pics on Flickr here or, if you want to see the pics with my high-larious captions, check out MOC Pages here. If you want to check out the contest entries and results, click here, then scroll down to the bottom so you can navigate to the later pages. My entry pic is on page 4, and the results will be posted on page 4 or higher.

I mention all this not only because I'm proud of my work and want attention, but also because NOW I really and for true plan to finish my Horrorthon reviews. I only have eight left, and then I want to encourage everyone to join me in doing your "best ofs," which nobody did. If you happen to wonder why this project prevented me from writing reviews for a couple of months when I've only been working on it for two weeks, I'll point out that 1)nyah, shut up and 2) you're right, but I spent all that time feeling guilty that I wasn't building shit out of Lego, so I had less time to feel guilty about not finishing my reviews. Make sense?

Anyway, wish me luck! Winners will be announced Monday, February 2nd.

Update: I won a prize! Me and this guy split the "That's Crazy Talk" award (him for presentation, mine for the creation). The big winner was the undeniably awesome Space Worm. But who cares! I totally won!

14 comments:

50PageMcGee said...

a few observations:

--the legendariness of senator dudik's party also kind of explains why the only person who noticed the gun coming out of the ground was the woman catapulted off of it. probably didn't even have time to notice it was a laser. good choice of face, by the way.

--when i was first thinking about it, i'd guessed that the reason people didn't notice the gun coming out was that its mechanical action was just that smooth and quiet. i think it's possible both these explanations are true.

--white limbo, :)

--i couldn't help but notice that one of the heads in the jar is mine.

also it looks like that's natalie on the beach about to get hit on by senator dudik

--oh hey, julie too :)

--i love that the only thing you see of the water polo player in the corner are his hands and feet.

i also really like that the people in the jacuzzi are only visible from the waist up -- torsos with no legs attached?

--bonkweed. cute.

--is that sally mustang's bikini top she's holding in her hand? her boobs are huge.

--dj skooby zom zom and the dancer on the amp must be really in a zone if they can't see what's happening on the shore. they're both looking in that direction.

--just noticed that it's not all torsos in the jacuzzi. one guy is taking a deeper dip than the other ne'er do wells.

--until i read the caption, i thought that last pic was of the robot acting sultry. laying back and its arms interlaced behind its head.

on closer inspection, the arms appear to be forward, not back.

but hey, that robot should totally do a sexy photo spread. it's on the beach and everything.

Catfreeek said...

I'm astounded by your attention to detail. I've already gone back and looked at the pictures 3 times and every time I notice something new in the scene. Great work!

I'm also glad to hear you are going to finish your reviews. I'd be happy to post a best of list, does that get posted here or on the scoreboard page? Is it a top 10 list?

JPX said...

It's simply magnificent! There are so many nice touches I wouldn't even know to start. Putting the heads in the jars might just be the thing to win this for you, it's terrific. I love the DJ booth, the giant ray gun, the sacred denizens...Just so much to take in. That's a hell of a lot of gold bricks you have there (or are they yellow?). I love how you simulated the exhaust in the water, an clever, subtle touch. I would love to see you win, you really deserve it with this effort. The robot itself should be sold in the stores, every kid would want one. I know Ben is going to drool when he sees your work - he spent Sunday morning setting up a Clone Troopers base.

JPX said...

I was looking at some of last year's winners and this one just made me laugh, http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=287308

Your scene is so much better than the other stuff I looked at from last year.

AC said...

love it, octo! good luck in the contest.

miko564 said...

Split with a dude who won for "presentation"? Boooooo!

It was a building contest!

Octo won for building!

Congrats to Octo!

P.S.- If you want me to get the other half of the prize for you, from the poser, let me know...

AC said...

congratulations octo! well deserved indeed.

JPX said...

I just saw the update, AWESOME dude! What do you win?

Octopunk said...

Legos! I don't know all the specifics yet. I will post when I do.

Catfreeek said...

Congrats Octo, knew you'd win something :)

DKC said...

Haven't hit all the links yet, but YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are the bomb diggity, babycakes!

Whirlygirl said...

Congrats! You're a lego genius!

Landshark said...

The boys are in awe and keep asking me: "How did Uncle Jeff get so good at Legos?"

The Mr. said...

Jake says "oh my gosh, thats awesome"
so do I :-)

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...