Thursday, August 20, 2009

Happy 40th Birthday, JPX!

That's right, your most beloved blogmaster is crossing decades this very day. Here to commemorate is a photo booth picture of him taken in the mid 80's. What a stud. Here's a picture of him today:

As you can see, age and constant internet surfing have taken their toll. He is now nearsighted, terribly wrinkled and Asian.

Oh, wait a second...

Perhaps this one is more accurate. I guess the light is hitting him in a flattering way. This is from last Friday when JPX rendezvoused with me and some of my family in Cape Cod. Left to right that's Zack (honorary horrorthonner), Julie, me, JPX, Dana's Brain and Landshark. The horrorthonnery was then quickly reduced as D-Brain got in her car like five minutes later and went home. But it was great to see JPX before his glorious thirties were over.

I have the honor of calling JPX my oldest friend. We've been geeking it up since 4th grade, he was my partner in guerilla artistry when we made stop-motion movies together, and there's no other person in the past three decades who has done more to keep me feeling young. I fully expect we'll be swapping tales of toy acquisitions when we have long white beards and ear trumpets.

Happy birthday, my friend. I'd tell you to go out and do something fun but you're old now, so enjoy that warm milk tonight and wear an extra shawl for me.

12 comments:

Octopunk said...

Old man jokes aside, in reality JPX has never had the flu, a headache or a cavity. He's never smoked anything and I don't think he really discovered the (moderate) enjoyment of booze until his thirties. In other words, I'd bet at five to one odds that he'll outlive us all.

Catfreeek said...

Happy Birthday JPX, welcome to the 40's, they're not all that bad.

AC said...

happy birthday jpx!!!

jon, taiga lily, and i wish you a fabulous day, year, and decade.

and catfreeek's right, the 40s are nothing to be afraid of. you start to really appreciate butter pecan ice cream, historical fiction, and "murder she wrote."

HandsomeStan said...

By Octo's rationale, I'll probably be the first to go...

Happy Birthday, JPX!

(and Octo, I never wished you a happy one...so happy birthday, like several weeks late...)

Whirlygirl said...

Happy Birthday old man!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I almost fell off my chair laughing when I saw the elderly chinese guy.

Happy Birthday mon frere! Rock that shit. See you next week.

Jordan said...

Welcome to the party, pal!

DKC said...

GAH! I missed your damn birthday, JPX! Sorry man. I hope you had a great day now that you are wicked old!

Whirlygirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JPX said...

Thanks, everyone! Yeah, I must admit, this is a rough one. Somehow saying that I was 39 seems much younger than 40. Even typing the number is stressful. The summer I was born "man" walked on the moon and Sesame Street debuted. I had a nice day courtesy of Whirlygirl. I just hope 41 doesn't push me over the edge. Thanks for the nice comments, Octo, my older friend =)

The deleted comment came from me - I was just saying that I suck.

Jordan said...

Dude, I've got the perfect cure for you. Rent Scorsese's excellent "Shine a Light" and watch in astonishment as the Rolling Stones rock the house harder than it's ever been rocked. And they're fucking 60.

JPX said...

Thanks for the tip, Jordan. I've heard that Shine a Light is an amazing concert film, I'll order it from Netflix post haste!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...