Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Paul McCartney Summer Tour 09, Fenway Park 08/06/09



Over my 39+ years I’ve seen just about every band in concert I’ve ever wanted to although some have eluded me (e.g., Kraftwerk!). One of the few performers that I never seen (blame timing or finances) has been Paul McCartney. Recently AC informed me that Paul unexpectedly announced a summer tour. Months ago we had a discussion about Paul McCartney and I stated then, “If he ever goes on tour again, I’m in!” AC had to act fast and I gave her my blessing to pick me up a ticket. Well, I still don’t know the details, and I’m afraid to ask, but AC not only came through with a pair of tickets, she got us premium seating!

Paul was in town for two nights and the first night there was a thunderstorm, which isn’t so conducive for Fenway. However on the second night, our night, the heavens behaved and we had a crystal clear night with a perfect human temperature and all was good.



There’s a reason Paul McCartney is arguably the most important living rock icon and quite possibly the most important rock figure in musical history (don’t give me that Rolling Stones crap); he has a better musical catalogue than anyone and he’s an exceptional performer. It’s a surreal experience to watch someone play songs that you’ve been listening to your entire life. AC observed that I kept saying “Wow!”, although I wasn’t aware of this. Paul played for 2.5 hours and at 67-years old he barely broke a sweat. It was clear that Paul loves performing live and he charmed the audience between songs with cool anecdotes about his former band mates. There was a tribute to his buddy John as well as George, although curiously he never mentioned Ringo once. When the 2.5 hour show ended I couldn’t believe that it was over, time passed in an instant. Thank you, AC, for an experience I’ll never forget. I can die saying that I saw a Beatle!


From Rolling Stone, “there was some good news at the Sox’ home stadium: Paul McCartney came to town for a pair of concerts on August 5th and 6th at Fenway Park, and according to Live Nation, McCartney’s pair of gigs set a new record for the highest-ever two-night attendance in the stadium’s 97-year history.”

Check out Live and Let Die for a taste of our evening,


Set-list
-Drive My Car
-Jet
-Only Mama Knows
-Flaming Pie
-Got to Get You Into My Life
-Let Me Roll It/Foxy Lady
-Highway
-The Long and Winding Road
-My Love
-Blackbird
-Here Today
-Dance Tonight
-Calico Skies
-Michelle
-Mrs. Vanderbilt
-Eleanor Rigby
-Sing the Changes
-Band On the Run
-Back in the USSR
-I'm Down
-Something
-I've Got a Feeling
-Paperback Writer
-A Day in the Life
-Let It Be
-Live and Let Die
-Hey Jude

Encore #1
-Day Tripper
-Lady Madonna
-I saw Her Standing There
Encore #2
-Yesterday
-Helter Skelter
-Get Back
-Sgt Pepper

4 comments:

AC said...

thanks jpx for writing this one up!

in addition to pleasure of being present for the amazing concert, it was thrilling to see fenway park packed to the rafters with mccartney fans of all ages (there were some definite oldsters in the crowd... i joked with jpx that when we're in our twilight years i hope to still be shlepping to dandy warhols gigs, walker and all).

i myself wasn't especially a mccartney fan until i saw him play live (on a fluke, and reluctantly) a few years back, and he completely won me over then with his musical performance, his warmth and humor, his generosity in playing so many beatles songs, his rapport with the crowd. in fact before i knew about the boston show i was contemplating a trip to queens... fortunately that didn't work out.

sooo glad sir paul hasn't lost it, and soooo glad jpx finally got to see the best surviving beatle!

Catfreeek said...

Wow! Just, wow!!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Sounds friggin' legendary. That's so cool that he played I've Got a Feeling.

Still,I saw Kraftwerk on a beach in the Mediterranean and for the encore the robots came out and played "We are the Robots". So there.

nowandzen said...

Sounds like it was awesome. What a great set list too.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...