Monday, July 05, 2010

Horrorthon Music Project -- JSP and 50 play Musical Word Association


Last night, after all of the LA-Horrorthon-4th of July crowd went home, Johnny Sweatpants and I stayed up very late and had a contest with our iPods.

We found an online random word generator and set it to spit out adjectives. We played a ten round game, trying to find a song in our respective iTunes folders that we felt represented that word. There were different settings for the level of complexity of the word and for each word, we'd take about 5 minutes to look through our folders.

We remained tied after ten rounds (two of them were draws), and Pants took the title in the tiebreaker round with one of the funniest tracks I've ever heard.

This will be happening again.

Round 1 - Ascending - (common)

*50p - James Horner - Glory (soundtrack) - the Burning of the Town of Darien
JSP - The Verve - 6:00


Round 2 - Minus - (common)

*JSP - Love - the Red Telephone
50p - Boards of Canada - Turquoise Hexagon Sun


Round 3 - Willing- (common)

50p - Roy Orbison - I Drove All Night
*JSP - Lovage - Strangers on a Train


Round 4 - Undwellable - (obscure)

JSP - Nine Inch Nails - 20 Ghosts III
*50p - Pink Floyd - Goodbye Blue Sky


Round 5 - Putrefied - (somewhat uncommon)

50p - Ryuichi Sakamoto - Love is the Devil (soundtrack) - Fall
*JSP - Mr. Bungle - Everyone I Went to Highschool With is Dead


Round 6 - Intoxicant - (somewhat uncommon) DRAW

JSP - Spiritualized - Medication
50p - The Smashing Pumpkins - Luna


Round 7 - Cocksure - (uncommon) DRAW
I swear to god, this was a randomly chosen word. My musical selection was less random.

50p - Led Zeppelin - Moby Dick
JSP - Guns n' Roses - You're Crazy (from Lies)


Round 8 - Undreamt - (uncommon)

*JSP - The Beta Band - Inner Meet Me
50p - The Smiths - Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want


Round 9 - Bombproof - (uncommon)

*50p - Amon Tobin - Marine Machines
JSP - Primal Scream - Exterminator (Massive Attack remix)


Round 10 - Biophysical - (uncommon)

JSP - The Rapture - Sister Saviour
*50p - The Real Tuesday Weld - Blood Sugar Love


TIEBREAKER ROUND - Fatty - (average)

50p - D'Angelo - Chicken Grease
*JSP - King Missile - Cheesecake Truck


Winnah! Johnny Sweatpants! (jerk)

7 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I can't tell you how much fun I had playing this! It made me want to gather all the audiophiles I know and play on a grand scale with prizes and penalties.

Also noteworthy is the fact that Handsome Stan and Mrs. X finally met 50P, thus restoring balance to the Universe.

Catfreeek said...

This sounds incredible, damn you both for living on a different coast! One of these days Tony and I will make the trip.

Jordan said...

awesome beyond awesome


speechless

JPX said...

I have read this post several times and I still don'tunderstand how this game is played (I know, I know, so what else is new?). I love the picture though, it's an instant Horrorthon classic!

Johnny Sweatpants said...

It's not complicated JPX - basically you try to pick a song from your library that fits the adjective. It was inspired by the game Apples to Apples. (But you've never heard of that, right?)

JPX said...

Apples to what now?

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site horrorthon.blogspot.com
Is this possible?

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...