Monday, July 12, 2010

M. Night Might Rally, But Mel's History


Jeff and I were discussing this last night, which actually somewhat embarrasses me. I mean, really? Coupla' tired ass parents, drifting off to sleep in your comfy bed, and you are using your precious alone time to talk about Mel freakin' Gibson? We might need some kind of counseling. But anyway, Jeff was making the point that Mel's career won't end, but my assessment is that it's all over for him. The same folks at Film News Brief's who said that M. Night would survive are betting with me this time. My reasoning (and exactly these guys'): he's old, hasn't made thaaaaaaaat much money recently, and the people who are doing the firing are Jews and/or gay and just anxious to be rid of his ass. So take that. Jeff said stuff like Apocolypto and Mel's own development projects would pull him through. But knowing how hard it is even for Hollywood big hitters to get stuff made right now, I voted no way. He's just too over the edge.
In the end, Jeff wanted to bet me a dollar that Mel would be okay, but then he said he didn't want tobe the one betting in favor of the crazy guy.
Another friend of mine who seems to have experience with this kind of thing (um...do tell) firmly believes Mel is suffering from a severe mental breakdown and needs meds. And that the right meds will even fix his paranoid racism. I wonder if we can spray those meds in certain areas of the world.

11 comments:

JPX said...

I don't believe he's having a breakdown, this seems more characterological. I'm certain it's exacerbated during times of stress, but what you're seeing is the real Mel. This guy has most likely always hated Jews, blacks, gays, women, etc, he just used to mask it better. Also, he's probably spoken in this manner many times but fortunately for him it was never captured on tape. At the very least he would probably be diagnosed with intermittent explosive disorder although I suspect it's more cluster b traits that we're seeing, such as the paranoia (AC, what do you think?).

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I think Mel's through too. Racism + spousal abuse is unacceptable. Personally I won't ever see another one of his movies. There's the "judge the art, not the artist" stance that I used to defend my right to enjoy Michael Jackson's music despite the pedophilia thing but in Mel's case, every time I see him I will see only a digusting human being.

As for Shalomalom, I think that there are enough dipshits in this country to support his career for a long, long time.

AC said...

is "asshole" a diagnosis?

JPX said...

I use it often.

JPX said...

I forgot to add, "raging narcissism" combined with alcoholism doesn't help.

Catfreeek said...

How about "douche bag" that seems to suit him as well.

Octopunk said...

Nice. I go out of my way in the previous Mel post to not sound at all pro-Mel and then my wife makes this post that sounds like I'm all "go Mel!" But I'm totally not.

To paraphrase/paste my earlier comment, I was just wondering aloud if his career is definitely over when he's a guy who can produce his own movies.

Or can he? I don't know enough about the situation and don't care enough to find out, but:

If he can pay people to make a movie, they'll make it, and:

If all the country's racist, homophobic wife-beaters go see it, it'll make money.

I wouldn't even accept a dollar on behalf of his hypothetical non-failure. Isn't that what really counts?

Julie said...

Octo, I don't think my post made you sound pro Mel, but just to be clear, um, what Octo just said. I second it.

JPX said...

Octo wants to marry Mel!

Octopunk said...

I knew that would happen.

Landshark said...

I think he's not close to done. The American public has a very short memory--hell, Marv Alpert is doing Knicks games again! Wtf? (Google, you sports-ignoramuses)

Seriously though, a couple years will go by, and he'll show up in some low key thing directed by Jodie Foster, and he'll do some interviews about his sad time, and blah blah blah.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...