Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Bill Murray Trashes "Garfield," Says "Ghostbusters 3" Won't Happen


From worstpreviews, While promoting "Get Low," Bill Murray sat down with GQ magazine to talk about "Ghostbusters" and why he decided to voice the title character in "Garfield."

Regarding "Ghostbusters 3": "It's all a bunch of crock. It's a crock... Harold Ramis said, Oh, I've got these guys, they write on 'The Office,' and they're really funny. They're going to write the next 'Ghostbusters.' And they had just written this movie that he had directed... 'Year One.' Well, I never went to see 'Year One,' but people who did, including other Ghostbusters, said it was one of the worst things they had ever seen in their lives. So that dream just vaporized. That was gone. But it's the studio that really wants this thing. It's a franchise. It's a franchise, and they made a whole lot of money on 'Ghostbusters'."

Regarding "Garfield": "I thought it would be kind of fun, because doing a voice is challenging, and I'd never done that. Plus, I looked at the script, and it said, 'So-and-so and Joel Coen (of Coen brothers).' And I thought: Christ, well, I love those Coens! They're funny. So I sorta read a few pages of it and thought, Yeah, I'd like to do that. I had these agents at the time, and I said, 'What do they give you to do one of these things?' And they said, 'Oh, they give you $50,000.' So I said, 'Okay, well, I don't even leave the f*ckin' driveway for that kind of money.'

Finally, I went out to LA to record my lines. And usually when you're looping a movie, if it takes two days, that's a lot. I don't know if I should even tell this story, because it's kind of mean. What the hell? It's interesting. So I worked all day and kept going, 'That's the line? Well, I can't say that.' And you sit there and go, What can I say that will make this funny? And make it make sense? And I worked. I was exhausted, soaked with sweat, and the lines got worse and worse. And I said, 'Okay, you better show me the whole rest of the movie, so we can see what we're dealing with.' So I sat down and watched the whole thing, and I kept saying, 'Who the hell cut this thing? Who did this? What the f*ck was Coen thinking?' And then they explained it to me: It wasn't written by that Joel Coen."

1 comment:

Octopunk said...

Sick burn, Bill Murray!

Okay, bummer about the implicit dis to Harold Ramis, and bummer that Ghostbusters 3 is looking bad, but it's kind of cool to hear someone telling the truth that way. And the Garfield story is hilarious.

"Well, I never went to see Year One but people who did, including other Ghostbusters, said it was one of the worst things they had ever seen in their lives."

Nice of him not to name the other Ghostbuster, but if Ramis directed it that only leaves Ackroyd and Ernie Hudson. I wonder which one Bill Murray hangs out with more?

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...