Thursday, May 04, 2006

In other news, Chan is still old and Tucker is still annoying



Octopunk has long known that I believe The Fifth Element was ruined the moment Chris Tucker appeared. I've always felt that The Fifth Element was 2/3 a perfect film. It was kind of like the same feeling I experienced watching True Lies (e.g., "Oh, wait a minute, this Jamie Lee Curtis storyline is not just a brief unfunny thing, it's becoming the whole damn movie...")

From Darkhorizons, "New Line's rushing to start "Rush Hour 3" officially greenlighting the sequel with the aim of launching production in late summer and releasing it next summer reports Variety.

"Rush Hour 3" will be set in Paris, where Tucker and Chan's characters will battle a wing of the Chinese organized crime family, the Triads. The previous two films have earned in the realm of $600 million worldwide, this one has been in development for almost five years but hasn't come together due to scheduling difficulties.

New Line signed Chris Tucker, Jackie Chan, director Brett Ratner and screenwriter Jeff Nathanson last fall to reunite for the sequel but had the option to greenlight the pic up til the end of this week.

Tucker will earn $20 million against 20% of gross along with a second-picture commitment for the same salary on a film to be determined later. Chan will get around $15 million against 15% of gross and own distribution rights in China and Hong Kong."

2 comments:

JPX said...

Oh man, just that photo pisses me off!

Octopunk said...

I know!

Me, I've always been of the "Chris Tucker = good, Chris Rock = annoying" school.

Watching 5th Element, I remember thinking "who is this comic relief freak messing up my sci-fi movie" when he first showed up, but by the end he totally won me over. After they vanquish the evil and David, the quiet acolyte, yells "YES!" Ruby's irritated reaction cracks me up every time.

The worst parts of that movie are where Milla goes slapstick at the end of the Mangalore fight and when Gary Oldman chokes on the cherry. Still, my favorite flick of 1997.

Rush Hour? Meh. The only thing that franchise has for me is that Zhang Ziyi was in one of them. I'm amazed at how much money is involved here.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...