Monday, May 22, 2006

Picard says, "Make it no"

From IFmagazine: "THE SKINNY: With rumors floating that J.J. Abrams is going to revitalize the STAR TREK movie franchise with a prequel, iF MAGAZINE cornered former STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION star Patrick Stewart at the X-MEN: THE LAST STAND junket to get his feedback on the recent announcement.

"Well, everyone is asking me about this as if I should know, and the only thing that I do know is that three or four months ago I got a call from agent in Los Angeles who said, 'You're not going to believe this, but we're hearing rumors from Paramount that they're interested in resurrecting the franchise,' and that Abrams particularly is apparently a huge fan of the original series and NEXT GENERATION," explains Stewart. "But I have heard nothing that has linked NEXT GENERATION to a possible new project and so I don't know. I'm not really thinking about it because it was a big part of my life for seventeen years and it's a little like a love affair that you've gotten over."

In some ways, you could say the divorce is final, though Stewart says that would be a bit of a misnomer.

"There was never really a divorce, but a separation really," says Stewart. "Still it's somewhat painful. I'm ambivalent about it. [The last movie] was modestly received although it made money and didn't lose money. But the studio then thought that it was time to say goodbye. We ourselves had been saying for several years that we didn't want to overstay our welcome. 'Let’s go.' So who knows. I will watch that space with interest."

And of course the big question – what if a script showed up that re-teamed the whole gang – would he do it?

"You can go on a forage for some things, and well, I just don't know if it would be good to do that or not," says Stewart. "I am very, very proud of what we did on that show. And every now and again I sit in a hotel room and watching the show on television and I go, 'Hello. I don't remember this episode.' I'll be sitting there watching and forgetting that I ordered room service and there's a knock on the door. I let the guy in and he comes he sees that I'm watching the show. He's going to go back to the kitchen and say, 'I've just seen the saddest thing ever. This guy is sitting there watching his old show.' So it was a great part of my life and I don't know if would be smart to put that space suit up again, but if meant being together with Brent [Spiner] and [Jonathan] Frakes and Michael [Dorn] and LeVar [Burton] – that would be brilliant because I love these people and I cannot see enough of them."

1 comment:

Octopunk said...

See, that's the thing if you're Patrick Stewart. You can just ramble off any old story and it sounds good, because you're Patrick Stewart. I liked his room service guy story, but it was a little wide of the point.

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...