Monday, December 15, 2008

Tom Cruise wants you to love him again


From thesuperficial, Tom Cruise sat down with Matt Lauer on The Today Show this morning for the first time in three years. In 2005, Tom called Matt "glib" after the two got in a heated argument about psychiatry in reference to the movie star's criticism of Brooke Shields. Since then, Tom Cruise has learned a lot - but not really. The guy's career's in the shitter and he needs you to like him enough to see Valkyrie. Otherwise, Tom has to settle for his own prime-time drama, and the Church of Scientology won't be getting a new media room. Here are the highlights:

On calling Matt Lauer "glib" while debating psychiatry:

“It’s a subject matter that was important. After looking at it, I really thought, it’s not what I had intended. In looking at myself, I came across arrogant. I absolutely could have handled that better.”

On if Suri is getting a new sibling:

“I think that’s a question for the women."

On discussing Scientology in interviews:

“I’ve been a Scientologist for 25 years. I think there’s a time and place for it. [But] when people are tuning in to hear about my movie, that’s what I’m here to talk about … I’m here to entertain people. That’s who I am and what I want to do. Certain issues and things have a time and a place in the proper environment.”

You know what's a great way to win back a female audience? Say "I think that's a question for the women" when talking about children. No, really, women love to know their place which in Tom's case is chained in the kitchen - except for that Broadway show you're allowed to do to shut your publicist up. Why do I suddenly hear the pitter-patter of tiny feet? No, wait, Tom, don't jump on the keyboa-

Xenu most hilarious! He will call celebrities the douche all the time. Give him moneys or Tom find you.

7 comments:

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I was on my way out the door when he came on this morning, dagnabbit.

That's nice and all Cruise but I'm still never, ever, ever watching another movie with you in it as long as I live and no one can make me!

nowandzen said...

I actually like the poor !@#$# in some of his roles. I thought he did a good job of making fun of himself and being willing to look completely unattractive in Tropic Thunder but about 90% of me has a bad gut reaction to this guy every time I see him anymore. Certain people have a talent that transcends their personality and moral flaws, I'm afraid this one doesn't. My example to illustrate this? When I was young it was hammered into me through church and everyone around me that that homosexuality was evil, yet in spite of believing that, I didn't give a !@#$ even at 8 years old, I still had to listen to Elton John. Well that's before he sold out and was making real music but still.... :p What did Woody Allen say in Bullets Over Broadway, something like "an artist transcends the moral universe and creates their own"? Something like that.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I just can't get over the Scientology thing and I don't think any actor would be able to transcend it for me personally. It's just so very wrong for so many reasons.

I can't listen to Beck anymore either which is a damn shame.

JPX said...

I can't stand Tom Cruise but I love him as an actor. He generally picks great roles. When I watch him in movies I just have to pretend that he's Tom's twin brother.

Catfreeek said...

I just don't care what any of them do in their personal lives. They are here to entertain for better or for worse. If they want to be robe wearing satan worshippers or scientologists or drunken whores on their off time then so be it. I'm not the one mindlessly following someone else' diluted visions.

nowandzen said...

Pretend he's Tom's brother? lol Not a bad way to go. Yes I think if he releases a really great movie I too will probably look past it to see it. I thought he really nailed it in Magnolia and if he did something like that I would take the plan of catfreek and go for the entertainment.

I agree though Johnny the Scientology thing is a tough one to choke down. I didn't know Beck was into it too? Does he shamelessly self promote it or keep it close to the vest? I don't care that he's into it really except when someone goes crazy on Matt Lauer. Has Beck gone off on Lauer? If so I'm out! :p

Landshark said...

"Going crazy on Matt Lauer."

When you put it like that, it sounds pretty reasonable!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...