Thursday, December 18, 2008

Totally Freaking COOL!


Bear with me as I set the story here...

Several months ago I was at a local nail salon with my sister getting our toes done. We were talking about kids and family, blah, blah, blah. There was a woman next to us who kind of got into the conversation, really friendly and all. As she is getting ready to leave she hands both Jules and I her business card: Manager, Creative Services Support at Hasbro. She says to us, "There is a store inside Hasbro where employees can go and they can take guests - you guys should call me."

Fast forward to this past Monday when I come across her card when cleaning out my purse. And I think to myself, "You know what - I am going to email this random chick and see what comes of it."
Well, ladies and gentlemen - what came of it was me standing third in line at the Hasbro "store" yesterday morning waiting to see all the bahgains! And I was standing next to a humongous Optimus Prime statue!

Picture me, like, 20 feet tall

Now the store itself is pretty small, and you're never really sure what is going to be there. Star Wars stuff was very limited, for example. But there were a lot of good games and some good Playskool stuff for the younger kiddos on my list. And it was all between 50-75% off from the store prices!!! Dudes, I cleaned UP!

And then, my new BFF took me on a tour of the entire place!! Toys everywhere! People's cubicles stuffed full of toys, racks of toys that they use for comparisons, toy prototypes halfway put together. The painting people, the future product packaging mock up people, the My Pretty Pony people! (Well, they weren't that cool.) AND, she took me up to see the TV studio they have and I got to watch a few minutes of a Wolverine commercial being filmed!

Holy shit, it was awesome!! And all I kept thinking was, I know some people who really wish they were with me right now!

9 comments:

michelle said...

That is super cool! I love it when the universe puts awesomeness in our paths.

Catfreeek said...

That is just the coolest thing. You definitely made an awesome hook up and I'm sure after some coercing you'll be introducing "a couple of people" to your new BFF real soon so that they can get the VIP tour too.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

Cool shit DCD!

I used to go there frequently when it was open to the public and I remember when they closed it. "What do you mean it's not longer open to the public? I just came all the way from Barrington..." and they let me shop one last time.

JPX said...

So this all happened and you didn't call me???? You could've said something like, "Can I bring my husband along?" (!)

I actually know someone there who works on the Transformer line, I wonder if it is the same woman? Octo and I once talked our way into that little store. He'll recount the story better but needless to say we convinced this old man security guard to let us in.

It's really cool that Hasbro is located in Rhode Island!

Octopunk said...

Daaaaang! Nice score! JPX is being generous; the guy kinda felt sorry for us because the store had just switched to "Hasbro employees only" status, so all I had to do was look sad and flash my baby blues. If JSP could charm his way in the same way it couldn't have been that hard. Got my Batman Animated Batmobile that day. Sweet ride.

But we didn't get the freakin' tour! That sounds amazing! Unproduced toy prototypes, ooooh.

JPX said...

Michelle, that avatar rocks!

Whirlygirl said...

Totally awesome!!!!

HandsomeStan said...

Did you...did you touch him? Optimus?

DKC said...

Actually, Handsome - I did not. Wasn't sure of the correct statue etiquette!

Malevolent

 2018  ***1/2 It's 1986 for some reason, and a team of paranormal investigators are making a big name for themselves all over Scotland. ...